Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

searching for a former clarity

Go down 
+39
justlikejames
Aaron
raptorsaurus
ColourCodedQuotes
Mr Stocks
DavyGrolton
Fornikatieng
dannyglover
Tim
blake
soulphonate
Califan0
Toadvine
jjp0500
Daggar Slade
Mike
Duke Of Vandals
Raccoon
againstmax
Knaggz
StoolPigeon
wk
Jozsa
no_face
WithoutEnd
MissBountiful
brayhold
Ross
Kyle
JoshRaymond
Zedeff
Listentocds41
bmc5703
JakobDoetman
lucky_leprechaun
arollo
lex
e6c
JAPSoccer13
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
DavyGrolton
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
DavyGrolton

Male Number of posts : 1424
Cool Points : 7167
Registration date : 2008-08-08

searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 2:04 am

It has been played live
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theriotinside
JoshRaymond
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
JoshRaymond

Male Number of posts : 6478
Cool Points : 8952
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 9:50 am

Any video?
Back to top Go down
one of my lies
Untouchable
Untouchable
one of my lies

Male Number of posts : 321
Cool Points : 6147
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 4:34 am

I just realized how much this sounds like "Without Mythologies" by The Weakerthans.

Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9215
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:22 am

I was gonna say 'Are you fucking high?', but I see where you're coming from.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I just read this real nice interpretation. It's how I felt about the song but couldn't put it into words:

"'Will everyone,
you ever meet or love,
be just a realationship based,
on a false presumption.
Despite everyone,
you ever meet or ever love.
In the end,
will you be all alone?'

This man is having a hard time revealing his homosexaulity to anyone he cares about, and worries that since they do no know who he truely is, only the person he pretends to be is their friend, not the true person he is. He worries that if this is true, he will die without any true friends, and no one will truely care about who he really is, only who he pretended to be. "

I don't necessarily agree with the homosexuality part, but I definitely agree with there being a secret side to the protagonist, and them worrying about nobody understanding his true side.
Back to top Go down
one of my lies
Untouchable
Untouchable
one of my lies

Male Number of posts : 321
Cool Points : 6147
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think the homosexuality is that much of a stretch considering the reference to cross-dressing. Then there's also this
Quote :
I'd prefer to leave the actual meaning of the line open to interpretation, but I will say that had I been born a girl my mother has told me she would have named me Laura. Are the lyrics from "Searching" and "The Ocean" related? Yes. In fact the lyrics to the song "Disco Before the Breakdown" are also related to these two songs.
http://www.againstmeforum.com/t1128-against-me-answer-your-questions

Disco can definitely be interpreted to be about homosexuality; though the lyrics are vague enough that they can be applied to any kind of love that's seen as taboo. Great song. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down
dannyglover
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 280
Cool Points : 5990
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:57 am

My interpretation, which was reinforced by an interview Tom did with Brendan Kelly for JBTV, is that the cross-dressing aspect has been way overblown and doesn't have a strong connection to the overall theme of the song. In that interview, Tom said that the real concept behind SFAFC was looking at the world and the music industry as if he was dying, and that in order to write the record, he had actually convinced himself that he was dying. This song is about him dying, it's that simple. Not from any specific ailment. He emphasizes that it was "for no particular reason" that he convinced himself he was going to die.
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8692
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:23 am

The interpretation that makes most sense to me is that it's about giving into the music industry, with the metaphor of dying of aids.
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7871
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:30 am

dannyglover wrote:
My interpretation, which was reinforced by an interview Tom did with Brendan Kelly for JBTV, is that the cross-dressing aspect has been way overblown and doesn't have a strong connection to the overall theme of the song. In that interview, Tom said that the real concept behind SFAFC was looking at the world and the music industry as if he was dying, and that in order to write the record, he had actually convinced himself that he was dying. This song is about him dying, it's that simple. Not from any specific ailment. He emphasizes that it was "for no particular reason" that he convinced himself he was going to die.

I like this because while so much can be read into the song, at the end of the day it's as simple as it could be. The cross-dressing thing isn't that important.
Back to top Go down
emmsmem
Untouchable
Untouchable
emmsmem

Female Number of posts : 457
Cool Points : 5995
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Tom tweeted "Both the song and the album are about HIV".

There we go!
Back to top Go down
Knaggz
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves

Male Number of posts : 80
Cool Points : 5877
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 pm

i did my own analysis of the track for a uni assignment
it references gender issues in punk and hardcore as well
http://heyrobknaggs.wordpress.com/

would appreciate feedback etc

(utmost care has been made in terms of correct pronouns, in the analysis, i was using "he" as laura was still suffering as a male)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/knaggz
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8692
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:52 pm

I like the heartbeat thing, I thought it was a neat observation
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

Female Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 4604
Registration date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:17 pm

I say the song has to do with HIV maybe but check out this song on the same cd Unprotected Sex With Multiple Partners.

But thecross dressing part is interesting in the song. Sence Laura is transgendered we all now wonder if the cross dressing line means anything big. It may it may not!
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 am

Do you think the former clarity refers to situations like Laura watching TV as a kid and thinking "That's me" when she saw Madonna? We know now that the band name is a nod to the whole gender thing.
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

Female Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 4604
Registration date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 pm

[quote="Aaron"]Do you think the former clarity refers to situations like Laura watching TV as a kid and thinking "That's me" when she saw Madonna? We know now that the band name is a nod to the whole gender thing.[/quote

Its hard to say. But its amazaig that her Transexual and gender identity as to with the name of Against me.
Back to top Go down
stupersnoop
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 1
Cool Points : 3831
Registration date : 2013-11-15

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:03 pm

i'm sorry, but i seriously doubt this is about freddie mercury you weirdos. if it is about something other than the transgender issues, it's most likely about a friend of the band who died in january 2005 of cancer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: searching for a former clarity   searching for a former clarity - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

searching for a former clarity
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4