Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AM! Next Album...make or break?

Go down 
+20
Stalls_Standing
dear_shithead
godisdead
Pepe
kropotkin
Ross
Jesus
atom
arollo
Cliche Guevara
Nautical Rudie
mullets suk
lex
nickno
BettyOakes
JAPSoccer13
iloveyourmom
Sam Jones!
pintsogin
AM!ShitSTroll
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7597
Registration date : 2008-01-17

AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Foo Fighters play in small clubs and arenas and either way their shows are fantastic. But it's because they're good musicians and know how to play a small show, or a big show. I definitely think Against Me! is more in their zone in front of a smallish crowd, but I don't think them being in a bigger venue would affect their skills as a musician.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

Male Number of posts : 3158
Cool Points : 8124
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:26 pm

its hard to enjoy music when the band look like ants
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
BettyOakes
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
BettyOakes

Female Number of posts : 823
Cool Points : 5961
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:31 pm

that part is pretty true.
which is why i'm pretty sure i will make sure i am on the floor.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/oneislonelywhenucantcount
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Eh, I've rocked out from faraway. I won't argue that the energy isn't different because it obviously is. It's just what you make of it. If you go pissed off, then you aren't gonna have a good time. But if you just go and listen to the music I think you can have a good time from wherever you're watching.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:42 pm

BettyOakes wrote:
that part is pretty true.
which is why i'm pretty sure i will make sure i am on the floor.

some stadiums don't have floors. at least MCI
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:45 pm

lex wrote:
Eh, I've rocked out from faraway. I won't argue that the energy isn't different because it obviously is. It's just what you make of it. If you go pissed off, then you aren't gonna have a good time. But if you just go and listen to the music I think you can have a good time from wherever you're watching.

You sound like a jam band kid lol

for me the music makes up half the event. the other half is the energy for the crowd. like the surfing and knocking each other around with fists raised. you can't do that in a stadium. i've seen band that i wasn't really into and still had a great time and it was because of that energy
Back to top Go down
BettyOakes
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
BettyOakes

Female Number of posts : 823
Cool Points : 5961
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm

no matter what kind of show it is i try to knock people around but last show was a bunch of dumb groupies who weren't into that.
thank god there was an asian kid with poor sense of rhythm who jammed with me...haha.

for me i make my own energy.
i can't always rely on their being a good crowd.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/oneislonelywhenucantcount
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm sure they'd make an exception for Against Me! and move the floor seats out. But honestly, I can't ever see them getting that big, there songs just aren't something that the average person can rock out to, at least I don't think so.

What's a jam band kid? I think the energy can still be awesome at a huge show, I guess it just depends on how many big shows you've been to. I saw Green Day back in 2005 (actually when AM! opened) and the energy at the show was crazy. It was my first big show and I just had the best feeling when I left that show.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm

the way you said "But if you just go and listen to the music" just reminded me of a long haired, sandal wearing, hippy jam band kid (phish, Great full Dead, kinda music) who smoke doobies and such.

well i guess we agree to disagree
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Ahh, creepy. I am definitely not like that, haha.
Back to top Go down
mullets suk
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 25
Cool Points : 5953
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:28 pm

AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 JamesshotfromBehindFoxboroughStadiu
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:46 pm

I'd be the one taking the picture. I'm just that cool.
Back to top Go down
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

Male Number of posts : 1232
Cool Points : 6931
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:45 pm

you are pretty cool i just wanna be in the pic :p
Back to top Go down
Nautical Rudie
From Her Lips to God's Ears

Number of posts : 125
Cool Points : 5942
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 pm

i dunno, new wave didnt have that 'feeling' that i connected with in the first place, and like someone els said, the crowd at the shows has changed since ive been seing them. If the next album has more 'major label rock' sound but has the same 'we hate the sterility of the major label music scene' i'll be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:
If the next album has more 'major label rock' sound but has the same 'we hate the sterility of the major label music scene' i'll be disappointed.

i think its kinda dumb that they write songs about the music industry yet they work for them now. The execs probably just laugh at AM! when previewing their songs at board meetings or what ever they do.
Back to top Go down
Cliche Guevara
Cliche Guevara

Male Number of posts : 120
Cool Points : 5883
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 4:03 am

There definetly does need to be more emotion into the new album. New Wave is a great album with a lot of great songs but it just doesn't have that touch that you get in their older albums. Other than Trash Unreal I just don't feel the same emotional connection I feel with the old stuff. If their new ablum continues down the path that New Wave laid out I'll still listen to them but a lot of the passion will have faded. I have high hopes though.
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

Female Number of posts : 2008
Cool Points : 6007
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 am

I think New Wave has a tremendous energy to it.

It's just filtered through a 3 month recording process. It's easy to have a feeling of high energy when you record an album in a week, but I actually love that Against Me! took the time to record and mix an album properly (meaning recorded over time, instead of having the band just play through the songs live in a studio and use whatever happened. Not that there is anything wrong with the punk rock method of recording music, it's just that....well....it just sounds sort of flat.).

But I've heard Butch Vig is nuts, and that the band made all those YouTube videos out of sheer boredom. I think that the energy of the songs was tempered by the fact that before they could sing they had to wait a month for the drum tracks to be finished.

I just didn't get as in to New Wave because it was just a bunch of songs. I've heard that New Wave was supposed to be just a bunch of rock songs because the band thought "Searching..." was too dark and heavy. Fair enough, but I really liked having the songs sort of go into one another and carry a theme throughout the album.

But New Wave is just as good as any of their other material. They just spent more money on the microphones, is all.
Back to top Go down
Cliche Guevara
Cliche Guevara

Male Number of posts : 120
Cool Points : 5883
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 7:12 pm

arollo wrote:
It's just filtered through a 3 month recording process. It's easy to have a feeling of high energy when you record an album in a week, but I actually love that Against Me! took the time to record and mix an album properly (meaning recorded over time, instead of having the band just play through the songs live in a studio and use whatever happened. Not that there is anything wrong with the punk rock method of recording music, it's just that....well....it just sounds sort of flat.).
I think from a pure musical perspective New Wave is the best album they've made. But unfortunetly all that "filtering" has strainted out much of ther emotion. I love that raw, unrifined feel that you get from good punk, and Against Me! seemed to have that feel mastered. It just makes the music seem so much more personal and passionate.
Back to top Go down
atom
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
atom

Male Number of posts : 1880
Cool Points : 5981
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 7:15 pm

seriously? i feel like as the eternal cowboy has far more going on musically than new wave, and i'd say from a musical perspective, atec is the best. just because there are guitar solos doesn't make the music any more interesting IMO
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

Female Number of posts : 2008
Cool Points : 6007
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Well I think Searching For A Former Clarity is the best album they've made.

I think people just like certain things, that are quite hard to define. But it seems like even people who heard New Wave and were kind of unsure (I kind of went "what the...") are now really into it.

I don't agree with people when they say that the early stuff (the 12", the demo tape) was the best and most passionate. But everything they've made has some element of whatever Against Me! does put into it, and that's why they are such a fantastic band. They seem to be incapable of phoning it in. Or at least they can phone it in really, really well.
Back to top Go down
atom
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
atom

Male Number of posts : 1880
Cool Points : 5981
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:21 pm

i wouldn't say the demos were the BEST, but i will say they have a lot of heart in them...more than anything on new wave anyway. my fave has always been ATEC though, it makes me feel like i can do anything i want.
Back to top Go down
Jesus
Jesus

Number of posts : 159
Cool Points : 5886
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 2:06 pm

This I think is something we'll have to see for ourselves, really. Me and my friends have an ungoing battle (which is slowly turning into an all out war...) over which is the worst and which is best. New Wave tends to get the ass end of the list on their parts, but then again, they're more into shit like the Ramones and Black Flag, so their tastes might naturally groove towards older shit. ( And who can deny AM!'s old stuff?)

I think the real question is for me, which way will they go? Will they keep rocking this new style and ride the wave, or will they try and moderate back to a style the that please all the old fans?

If they did go back, I'd be surprised. The majority of stuff I hear from old "HARDCORE!!" fans is bitching...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:14 pm

it damn well be better than new wave...........
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7880
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:19 am

They're not gonna change to "please the fans", I think that's been long established, they're above that. I still hope they do something that the old "HARDCORE!!" lot hate even more, their whining is getting beyond annoying to just being comical nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:40 am

JamaicaSka wrote:
They're not gonna change to "please the fans", I think that's been long established, they're above that. I still hope they do something that the old "HARDCORE!!" lot hate even more, their whining is getting beyond annoying to just being comical nowadays.

I agree 100%. Thanks for putting it better than I could.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AM! Next Album...make or break?   AM! Next Album...make or break? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AM! Next Album...make or break?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next