Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?

Go down 
+27
Punkocalypse
Aaron
StoolPigeon
Shawn!
Meeg
JessAwesome
breakitdownaliya
Benedetto
Listentocds41
godisdead
YvonneChristina
freedumbxx
mattharris
Ross
ska_sean
Gary - IRL
AdamLikesMusic
pintsogin
Dan
henotbusybeingborn
AM!ShitSTroll
BettyOakes
nickno
one of my lies
Sam Jones!
lex
arollo
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

Female Number of posts : 2008
Cool Points : 5997
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Empty
PostSubject: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:17 pm

I really like the song "Pretty Girls", but the references to "mistakes that cannot be undone" are remarkably vague. I used to think that this was a reference to an STD, or maybe even AIDS (in fact, the final track on the album made me think the whole album was a concept album based around a rock star dying as a metaphor for something or other....).

But then I thought that perhaps the song was talking about the life of a musician, always travelling, which I imagine makes it hard to form relationships.

Then I read that Tom Gabel had been going through a divorce (this was mentioned in Magnet, I think, I do not know if it's true or no), and I thought that perhaps it's talking about getting married. I have actually found that, since I got married, people react to you in a strange way. I cannot actually talk to any woman because they automatically presume I am trying to cheat on my wife, and men treat me like I've got some kind of horrible disease or something. Maybe this is the "mistake", referring to a failed marriage as a sort of scarlet letter that makes forming any new relationships well nigh impossible.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7587
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:29 pm

I always thought it was an STD too, haha. Tom was married ..I think when he was 19 or 20, but that didn't work out. But yea, that's interesting ..I could see it as marriage too.
Back to top Go down
Sam Jones!
Untouchable
Untouchable
Sam Jones!

Female Number of posts : 375
Cool Points : 5957

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:55 pm

i never thought about it that way just huge mistakes in a relationship
Back to top Go down
one of my lies
Untouchable
Untouchable
one of my lies

Male Number of posts : 321
Cool Points : 6146
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Quote :
I want to be healthy,
I don't want this problem.
You wouldn't think something like irresponsibility,
would complicate something like asking for some company
What kind of irresponsibility? Maybe Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners. I think the song is about being ostracized because of how big his band was getting.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:06 pm

But the line 'I want to be healthy' kinda gives it the idea of being a disease and not about being in a successful band.

'or you wouldn't think
something like irresponsibility
would complicate something like
asking for some company'

I wouldn't consider your band getting big an irresponsibility..
Back to top Go down
one of my lies
Untouchable
Untouchable
one of my lies

Male Number of posts : 321
Cool Points : 6146
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:15 pm

lex wrote:
But the line 'I want to be healthy' kinda gives it the idea of being a disease and not about being in a successful band.

'or you wouldn't think
something like irresponsibility
would complicate something like
asking for some company'

I wouldn't consider your band getting big an irresponsibility..
Nor would I. But the STD theme and the title of "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" are hard to ignore. I'm reading the lyrics to it and I'm starting to think the irresponsiblity refers to getting too involved in the business aspect of making music, or associating with the wrong people.

Last edited by one of my lies on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar fix)
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Yea, that's kind of the meaning that I applied to the song 'Unprotected Sex With Multiple Partners.'
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 pm

"I want to be healthy" can mean anything. "Health" has many connotative meanings beyond the literal, all of them basically meaning a base state, or an ideal state.
Back to top Go down
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

Male Number of posts : 1232
Cool Points : 6921
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:46 pm

i thought the whole cd was kinda based around the same concept...Miami sets the tone of the culture, with the whole voting scandel in flordia in 2000, then from her lips sets the tone of 05...how low, unprotected sex, pretty girls all kinda the events to lead up to the last song searching for a former clarity, with aids and stuff..also sutff like don't lose touch right before the last song is like if someone has aids there losing touch and know it but can't stop it it's obvious. then joy, everything seems right but unfolds...

idk the exact order or w/e..but it defintly is a compelling story ending with death, via aids.. great album to bad the concept never got mainstream :\
Back to top Go down
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:49 pm

also the album realy has so many interpitations..if you listen to the songs seperatly like Unprotected sex..then you get toms feelings towards the record company same with the roller...but even the titles of the songs tell the story, so it makes scences if you think about it all
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 pm

It's just too bad the band didn't seem to be into it, I think Tom referred to it as "a bummer" when talking about "New Wave" going in a more up-beat, two and a half minute rock song direction.

Although I loved "The Ocean". I hope Tom does more of whatever drug he was on when he wrote that one.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I hope not Sad Drugs are bad. Sure, they may influence good song writing but the long term effects aren't worth it.

And how come people always refer to is as 'The Ocean', I always thought it was just Ocean.
Back to top Go down
BettyOakes
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
BettyOakes

Female Number of posts : 823
Cool Points : 5951
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:50 pm

i dont think it's about drugs at all.
its definatly just Ocean kids.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/oneislonelywhenucantcount
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Alright, cool. I thought I was going crazy and it had been declared THE Ocean somewhere.

Yeah, I think that song is so beautiful and the thought of Tom on some acid trip totally ruins it for me, haha.
Back to top Go down
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:45 pm

yea its The Ocean but on the New Wave cd it just says ocean...just how it says Borne On The FM Waves, but its Borne On the FM Waves of the Heart.

but i prefer new wave and its bsides much more then searching for..
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:13 pm

On the back of my copy of New Wave (the CD/DVD edition in the cardboard case) it says "THE OCEAN". Odd.

The song itself isn't about drugs, obviously, but may or may not have been written under the influence of some whacky thing (wasn't he high in Paris and the song just came to him? That's how I heard the story of how he wrote the song, anyways). I don't particularly care either way. Though I can prove that sobriety does make music lame. Please refer to the Bill Hicks routine about drugs and music. He basically says it better than I, and funnier.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:16 pm

But I'm sure it makes your life even lamer.
Back to top Go down
BettyOakes
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
BettyOakes

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm

i have a lot less respect for artists who have no natural talent and only write under the influence and people only listen to it under the influence.

lame ass lame.

i think tom has a whole lot of natural talent...so i'm hoping for the best.

how is it that "you heard it that way." ??
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:13 pm

BettyOakes wrote:
i have a lot less respect for artists who have no natural talent and only write under the influence and people only listen to it under the influence.

lame ass lame.

i think tom has a whole lot of natural talent...so i'm hoping for the best.

how is it that "you heard it that way." ??

Natural talent is not created by drugs, merely.....I don't know. Your brain just does B instead of A, but both A and B have to have existed in the first place for you to even get there. If that makes any sense.

Now LISTENING to music under the influence.....well, that's how the Greatful Dead got so popular. And...well....they suck. So yeah.

By "heard it that way" I mean to say that someone, somewhere said that there was an interview in which Gabel says he was high in Paris when he wrote the song. My lack of first hand sources leads me to neither insist that it is either true or untrue, but it's an interesting story. "The Ocean" is kind of a homesick song. Of course, maybe I just think of it as a homesick song.
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:16 pm

lex wrote:
But I'm sure it makes your life even lamer.

Well, it depends upon your definition of "lame". I know a lot of straight edge kids who are exceedingly lame. I know a couple of people who do coke in the privacy of their own homes and are perfectly functional, normal members of society.

The general rule is that If you're an asshole sober, you'll be an asshole whilst under the influence of anything. Alchohol, drugs, whatever.

I try to be a Buddhist about such things. Middle path. And so on.
Back to top Go down
BettyOakes
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
BettyOakes

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:29 pm

i was saying i respect people with natural talent who dont use drugs to sort of propel them forward.
Back to top Go down
AM!ShitSTroll
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
AM!ShitSTroll

Male Number of posts : 516
Cool Points : 5924
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 pm

1. pot is not a drug
2. searching is definitely not about AIDS or Freddie Mercury like everyone thinks it is....its about Tom not wanting to be in the band anymore, how all the relationships in his life now (besides a few) are all "based on a false presumption." In other words, the AandR people. He uses a metaphor of being sick for how he feels about being in the music industry. Furthermore, in the DVD he state that "someone wants to pay me 1 million dollars to make a record...which is just sick" which parallels the "bear witness to mortality in exchange for the ticket price." Basically hes singing about selling out, for lack of a better word, just like the rest of this album is about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sporadicballard
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 12:31 am

searching for has no right or wrong reason, if you think it, and it fits then it can work for you.. defintly would of been a hit if it was the major label debut instead of new wave..but hey everything happens for a reason
Back to top Go down
henotbusybeingborn
From Her Lips to God's Ears
From Her Lips to God's Ears

Number of posts : 116
Cool Points : 5941
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Yeah, according to Tom, he was sitting on a beach in France smoking a joint and playing guitar, and the song just sort of came to him naturally.

As for Pretty Girls, all I know is that even though he sings "You wouldn't think something like irresponsibilty...", the lyric booklet reads "You wouldn't think something like (sexual) irresponsibilty...", so I definitely think it could be about an STD.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Dan

Male Number of posts : 99
Cool Points : 5957
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 10:48 pm

To be honest. to all you people who say that drugs make your life lame, I would like to ask have you ever done a drug? and pot isnt a real drug. If you havent you have no experience to make an educated decision about drug use. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next