Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking Is Still Honest

Go down 
+51
ashley
ZoeyD
Aaron
ThusSpokeYourFace
our_dead
Avery
Stevie K
defunctalex
highonbutane
hyperballad
Kyle
S_Carter
Daggar Slade
Mark Narra
Cenaco
I Hate Winnipeg
Goonya
Buster Hymen
YvonneChristina
potzer
ramrodTM
Mike
Anarchy
atom
StoolPigeon
countervail
Jackattack
Ross
JakobDoetman
AM!ShitSTroll
bmc5703
AdamLikesMusic
Pants
brizanne__
iloveyourmom
impact
mads1102
germfreeadolescent
Stalls_Standing
Ana
e6c
JoshRaymond
Joaquin_Honest
Gary - IRL
Patron
Cliche Guevara
nickno
billy pilgrim
mullets suk
Sam Jones!
lex
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mark Narra
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Mark Narra

Male Number of posts : 2332
Cool Points : 6605
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 3:21 am

Cenaco wrote:
I too, cry, I cry, straight up. right now.

i wish we had a hug smilie, because i wanna give you one.

it's pretty great that you can get such a deep and intense feeling from music, and i really think it's awesome that it comes with a deep interpretation of the lyrics for you. it's incredible that analyzing music in that way brings out such strong emotions. i think it's really healthy, and if you keep that kind of analytical nature, i bet you'll end up being brilliant one day. I love you
Back to top Go down
http://teachyourselfitsbeautiful.com/
Cenaco
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Cenaco

Female Number of posts : 702
Cool Points : 5695
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 am

Mark Narra wrote:
Cenaco wrote:
I too, cry, I cry, straight up. right now.

i wish we had a hug smilie, because i wanna give you one.

it's pretty great that you can get such a deep and intense feeling from music, and i really think it's awesome that it comes with a deep interpretation of the lyrics for you. it's incredible that analyzing music in that way brings out such strong emotions. i think it's really healthy, and if you keep that kind of analytical nature, i bet you'll end up being brilliant one day. I love you

you and daggar are my two favorite people ever. AND YES a huge smiley would be so appropriate right now. Awww! We are all brilliant in our own way, it's how we chose to display it, use it, and embrace it. You, my friend, are just as brilliant, if not more. (insert hug smiley here!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/frigerofrero
Cenaco
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Cenaco

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 4:02 am

hahaa huge smiley yes, but ALSO hug hahahaha. whoops!
Back to top Go down
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Daggar Slade

Male Number of posts : 2827
Cool Points : 7792
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 6:18 am

[quote="Cenaco"]
Gary - IRL wrote:
Quote :

Dear mother,
This is just survival.
Cannot promise your children everything,
But you would lie so they can sleep tonight.
Defeat tasted nothing like you said.
Still 22 days left till the end of the world.
My legacy was making you a man
For a justice I could not change.
This is one voice not to forget;
"Fight every fight like you can win;
An iron fisted champion,
An iron willed fuck up."

Can anybody tell me why God won't speak to me?
Why Jesus never called on me to part the fucking seas?
Why death is easier than living?
You can be almost anything
When you're on your fucking knees.
Not today,
Not my son,
Not my family,
Not while walking is still honest,
And you haven't given up on me.

Dear shithead,
This isn't happening;
The sky is really falling,
The paint's all made of lead,
There's asbestos in the walls,
Hell's coming to rip off the doors
To your priveleged heaven.
Do you want to love and feel it?
You can look but you can't taste it.
You can reach but you'll never have it.
We are untouchable;
Untouchable is something to be.

Not today,
Not my son,
Not my family,
And you haven't given up on me,
And you haven't forgotten me...

I really like what this person said. And Agree with much of what they said. But I have my own insight-

Novel here we come...! haha

I really love the honesty of this song, and especially how Tom starts off with his first line as "This is just Survival". I think what is meant by this is that No god, abrahamic, or what not, or any external force can save us, we live life as we see it day to day, and you the parent, the guardian, the adult, or the mentor/role model cannot act as this god or higher power and protect your children from life. It is just survival, nothing more nothing less. Yes, many preach that God is all-knowing and all-loving, but if you think about it how can such a being exist or force exist if there is so much natrual and moral evil in the world. This is why you cannot promise your children teh world, you cannot promise anyone that life will forever be graced with happiness. Life is not that way. But religion is based on faith, and the faith entrusted with those who strongly believe is voiced through lies. Lies taht we rationalize within ourselves and to our loved ones. We pray that there will be a better day, and we pray, or atl east many of us, pray that in fact everything will be okay, and we expel this hope and faith onto our children. But considering the rather negativity or somewhat of frustration voiced throughout the song, this hope and rationalization is categorized as lies, ( which personaly I would have to agree with Tom on that).

I think Tom proceeds to say that once these lies began to unfold the truth came forward-something one being coerced into believing would be scared to truly face. "Defeat tasted nothing like you said" - life is so watered down, everything so sugarcoated- so you could be blessed by the stories of the bible, and blessed by god, that life became an entirely new reality - success, defeat, and everything in-between became an entirely new battle. One of the saddest lines I find is the one where he says "My legacy was making you a man". To determine a person's life to define what kind of man and on what grounds they are a man is horrid, which I believe he is voices through this lyric. The concept of what is a man, and what defines a man versus a boy, is so subjective, and in this case was purely religious, and to restrict someone to a manhood based on false beliefs, clearly which Tom is not, or anyone for that matter, is awful.

[chorus]
Not today,
Not my son,
Not my family,
And you haven't given up on me.

--

It is a common argument especially among those who study metaphysics the existence of God. If god is so powerful if he is so loving, why must he be hidden, why must he hide himself, herself, itself, from the world. Many of us become disillusioned, but it is again that faith, that "religious glue" that keeps so many of us "in line" and continue to believe. However, I do believe it is those who begin to question this unexplainable or rather alter reality that are the strongest, and most willed. It is also a question of belief, and how are such "higher beings" plausible. Why jesus? why god? why mary? why not me? No one can prove such stories, no one can prove anything. None of it can really exist without faith, and if faith is believing lies or perhaps false truths rationalized through generations-false truths rationalized through religious warfare, and struggle, then why have faith? No one has to believe in god, whether he is abrahamic or not, ( i want to include all religions here, not just christianity ), to believe in a better place, a worser place, or to calm their fears of the uncertain. In death, struggles no longer continue, pain no longer consumes the body, or the mind--all cognitive dissonance is lost. We are no longer caught up in the incoherent bull shit of today, and the grueling ways of life--a life which was supposedly created, according to many, by an all loving all powerful god. Just as the person also said, when he states "not my son, not my family"--is about saving his family, his future, sparing them the lies and the hurt and the anger he has felt--to spare them the pain--so they face reality with a clean slate, because we have to remember "this is just survival".

This idea of "walking is still honest"-- I also agree with them. It's this idea of doing what one does, going through life-waking up each day- and being independent-believing what you must to get by- being honest to yourself-in order to keep going. If you stop walking, if you stop to look at a passerby, if you stop and let yourself be consumed by the nonsense, and the morals/values and beliefs of others- you are no longer yourself, you no longer have those internal feelings-you can't be true to yourself. You can walk and believe all you want- life keeps going- you don't stop life to believe the lies of the church, the synagog, or the mosque. All that time spent praying, could have been spent walking, ( all of this metaphorically of course ), walking and learning the real truth of the world -not the truth of a sacred text.

---

Dear shithead,
This isn't happening;
The sky is really falling,
The paint's all made of lead,
There's asbestos in the walls,
Hell's coming to rip off the doors
To your priveleged heaven.
Do you want to love and feel it?
You can look but you can't taste it.
You can reach but you'll never have it.
We are untouchable;
Untouchable is something to be.

Dear shithead is clearly to a religious figure, or god, or some higher power. I don't know if I'd actually say its a literal letter, or more or less a somewhat sarcastic address to someone whom he despises. But that's just my take. LIke a calling out to someone, rather than something formal. I personally love this verse, it's so brutal, and so honest, and although he's not truly discussing hell, but uses it as a symbol for life/reality, it is truly fitting for such a purpose. It's as if those so religiously tied to the church, and their faith, they become scared of what really awaits them in life, and thus reality and life becomes their hell, and those who learn the truth, ( Tom obviously ), see hell, see this reality, burn down this "wall" between the barriers of religion and reality-and become enlightened. It's almost as if they view man without faith, to be the devil, and the home in which he lives, one without god, and without religion is hell--and no matter how hard we fight no matter how hard we scream into the ears of the priest, he will forever be deaf to our truths, for he is a man, so he believes, in a higher place. But it is there loss, so Tom continues. They will never love, nor feel, nor ever have what "we' have, they will never know the truth, because they are so engrossed in their religious lies. What Tom has, what those like him have, is nothing god, nor any of his followers touch, understand, nor have. And to be untouchable is to know the truth, to be free-free from god, free from pain-free from deceit-it's the way to be.

[end of chorus]

And you haven't forgotten me...

Here I think it's an interesting touch to the end of the song. god, faith, his mother, his father, or whomever, no matter how "lost" their son maybe, (at least in their eyes), they will not give up on him. They still have that magic word, yes, FAITH, that their son can be saved from hell, from temptation, from all the evil engraved into their minds, they can keep him from the untouchables, so to speak. They haven't given up on him, and the reiteration of that line hints that they could not give up on him. No matter how much they try, or maybe even accept his lack of faith, they cannot and will not forget him- forget him and how he has digressed from his childhood upbringing and abandoned his faith, or the faith in which they installed in him at a young age. They will not forget perhaps the confused boy who so believed in god, they will not forget how they had him once- and hope that they can reel him in again. Religion, faith, and freedom will forever be an endless battle.

Holy Fuck, I love you so much, Carolyn. That was just so damn amazing. And I'm sorry by neglecting everyone who posted after this post, I had to thank her as soon as I finished reading this post. But, I'll read them now.

That was a spoton description/interpretation of Walking. I think I'm going to start saving her posts about songs as Word documents. Then when anyone askes me about an AM! song, instead of telling them, I can tell them to read the posts. Carolyn, you should analyze EVERY AM! song and write a fucking book, I know you could do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/daggar_slade
brizanne__
Untouchable
Untouchable
brizanne__

Female Number of posts : 305
Cool Points : 5930
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 1:41 pm

Yah, thats truely amazing.
Back to top Go down
S_Carter
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
S_Carter

Male Number of posts : 74
Cool Points : 5867
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 3:42 pm

<3.
Back to top Go down
http://www.team-ntensity.com
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

Male Number of posts : 3639
Cool Points : 7436
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 4:25 pm

As of right now, walking is no longer honest. Walking is a lie.
Back to top Go down
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Daggar Slade

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Kyle wrote:

¿Por que?
Back to top Go down
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Daggar Slade wrote:
Kyle wrote:

¿Por que?

porque.
Back to top Go down
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Daggar Slade

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Kyle wrote:
Daggar Slade wrote:
Kyle wrote:

¿Por que?

porque.

...no...que contestacion es muy mal.
Back to top Go down
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

taco.
Back to top Go down
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Daggar Slade

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Kyle wrote:
taco.

Si.
Back to top Go down
brizanne__
Untouchable
Untouchable
brizanne__

Female Number of posts : 305
Cool Points : 5930
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Suspect
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7484
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 8:01 pm

I remember when I was telling Warren how much this song means to me.
his sister was there, and she said "she's so passionate!", or something like that.
he modestly said "I didn't write it, but thanks".

moral of the story: this song means a fucking lot to me. as an atheist, it's nice to see a song that isn't about believing in a fairy tale that we're not even sure exists. I've been told countless times that I'm weird for my beliefs and that I'm going to hell for being an atheist. it's quite refreshing to see someone else recognize the bullshit.

Carolyn, you make me feel so incompetent sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Cenaco
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Cenaco

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Wow, i'm flattered times a thousand right now. I love all of you! aww and don't feel incompetent!

But i really don't know what to say...i'm touched...and I LOVE YOU TOO DAGGARR!!! i love all of you like i said!

and that's so cute you save my posts as word documents.... and you know what? Maybe i will analyze every AM! song. I'll probably get around to them all at somepoint in my life time. We'll see!

but gah, i don't even know what to say....

I love against me! and I love this forum.
Back to top Go down
highonbutane
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!

Male Number of posts : 541
Cool Points : 5755
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 11:59 pm

this is just one of those fist pumping songs; when you're in you're car and your just banging the roof. beating on the steering wheel. there's so much emotion and strong conviction within the words of the song, it doesn't really matter what the song is about, you're going to feel so much listening to it, he could be talking about the reorganization of the third reich and we'd all still love it.
Back to top Go down
defunctalex
From Her Lips to God's Ears
From Her Lips to God's Ears
defunctalex

Male Number of posts : 196
Cool Points : 5773
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 am

yeah, I'd say this is probably my favorite AM! song. I love both versions. The RAR version is great to listen to to pump you up and the Crime version just sounds really raw and beautiful in its own way. Myself being very skeptical of religion and god and such, this song really speaks to me.

I know I probably will state what everyone else has already said, but what the hell:

As far as the lyrics go, I think the 1st verse is kind of, like many have already stated, that a religious mother is using religion to comfort herself and/or her children. For the chorus, I think its about how Tom (or whoever the narrator may be) is questioning the religion and he kind of thinks its bullshit. And then again saying how he doesn't want his children or family being force-fed religion. Then in the 2nd verse he is talking to either the Christian or God or a preist "Dear Shithead" and possibly the end of the world or armageddon coming.

Then at the end when he says "And you haven't given up on me, no you haven't forgotten me," I think that's either, like some stated before, his mother still praying and believing in him or God still having faith in him. I relate to this a lot because my mother is very religious and it kills her that I hate religion, and she keeps on telling me that she "has faith in me."
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/falsecreditband
Stevie K
Untouchable
Untouchable
Stevie K

Male Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 5808
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 am

Favorite song by far, as far as the title is concerned I think it's a song about pride, your own opinions, questioning things. For me the song pretty much touches every emotion. I get that fist pumping feeling some times and other times I tear up a little bit.

All in all I think it's all reason enough to get "Walkin Is Still Honest" tattooed up my side.
Back to top Go down
Ana
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ana

Female Number of posts : 4576
Cool Points : 8928
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 am

It is amazing when music makes one feel that way.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7484
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Stevie K wrote:
Favorite song by far, as far as the title is concerned I think it's a song about pride, your own opinions, questioning things. For me the song pretty much touches every emotion. I get that fist pumping feeling some times and other times I tear up a little bit.

All in all I think it's all reason enough to get "Walkin Is Still Honest" tattooed up my side.
I was thinking of getting a tattoo related to this song as well. however, I'm not very creative so I don't know what exactly I'd get.

maybe just the title in script would be nice.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Stevie K
Untouchable
Untouchable
Stevie K

Male Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 5808
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:21 pm

hyperballad wrote:
Stevie K wrote:

I was thinking of getting a tattoo related to this song as well. however, I'm not very creative so I don't know what exactly I'd get.

maybe just the title in script would be nice.

That's all mine is gonna be
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 7:45 pm

does any one have the real tabs to this song the ones on ultimate guitar arnt totally correct
Back to top Go down
Avery
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Avery

Male Number of posts : 18
Cool Points : 5482
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 3:09 am

My mother tried to raise me as a christian. I never really bought into any of it. I think when it's forced on people, it works the opposite of what the forcer intended.
Back to top Go down
our_dead
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
our_dead

Number of posts : 24
Cool Points : 5887
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah I think it's about tom dealing with his parents divorce, his mother raised him, and his father tried to connect with them but couldn't, and like most fathers tried to scared their boys in order to man up
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7994
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Stevie K wrote:

I kind of want to get "Untouchable is something to be" tattooed somewhere on me.
I would get "iron willed fuck up" but I'm not sure I want the fuck word on my body permanantly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking Is Still Honest   Walking Is Still Honest - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walking Is Still Honest
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next