Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JAWBREAKER!

Go down 
+24
Daggar Slade
A-New-Way-On
Kyle
MellorStrummer
Seedboy
againstmax
bilmas
ska_sean
I Hate Winnipeg
scarlett
JoshRaymond
dear_shithead
Zedeff
boxcar
EngineDriver
littletriggers
Gary - IRL
ClockworkRobot
atom
Minty
one of my lies
Pepe
lex
spraypainthero
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 286
Cool Points : 5846
Registration date : 2008-05-17

JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:23 pm

I thought AM!'s lyrics were awesome until I got into Jawbreaker. This band re-defined what good writing is all about and upped the ante for everyone else.
Back to top Go down
dear_shithead
From Her Lips to God's Ears
dear_shithead

Male Number of posts : 130
Cool Points : 5910
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Dear You is my favorite. I'm a big JTB fan as well.
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 10:28 pm

I like the lability on Dear You. Save Your Generation, Oyster, Bad Scene, and Untitled are all by and large positive, upbeat songs. Between those songs you've got songs about unplanned pregnancy, high school alienation, the loneliness of fame, being cheated on (x2), depression, and unresolved feelings for an ex. Hell, Basilica is about suicide and the songs that follows it starts out with "you can't sell me incense, my world smells good enough to eat."

It's all over the map, but it never strays so far that you can't identify with him.

Still, 24 Hrs is my favourite. The Boat Dreams From the Hil is some of my favourite writing ever.
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Bump because I'm listening to 24 Hour Revenge and this is still the best fucking band in the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm

this thread needs to be brought back to life.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
JoshRaymond

Male Number of posts : 6478
Cool Points : 8958
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:58 pm

i agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 pm

whats the furthest place from here?
it hasnt been my day
in a few years
whats a couple more
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
JoshRaymond

Male Number of posts : 6478
Cool Points : 8958
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 2:04 pm

And if I go, don't forget the one good
thing I almost did. I learned your name without words. I used my eyes
Back to top Go down
scarlett
narra's iGirl
scarlett

Female Number of posts : 833
Cool Points : 5802
Registration date : 2008-08-13

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 pm

My favorite is "West Bay Invitational." It's just gorgeous. Blake's singing on that track is one of the truest things I think my ears have ever experienced. I just can't listen to that song without being moved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm

bump

i really really love this band
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7594
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 1:26 am

I was listening to Chris Shiflett's version of Kiss the Bottle and I really like it a lot. Or it could have been that it was rainy and really pretty outside, so that enhanced the experience.
Back to top Go down
I Hate Winnipeg
I Hate Winnipeg

Male Number of posts : 166
Cool Points : 5881
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:00 am

my first love
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mybakuyaku
ska_sean
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
ska_sean

Male Number of posts : 1792
Cool Points : 6754

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:35 am

lex wrote:
I was listening to Chris Shiflett's version of Kiss the Bottle and I really like it a lot. Or it could have been that it was rainy and really pretty outside, so that enhanced the experience.

lucero version or ben nichols solo on this song is just badass
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7594
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:36 am

Yea, he played it at the Revival show.
Back to top Go down
ska_sean
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
ska_sean

Male Number of posts : 1792
Cool Points : 6754

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 am

yes he played it at the orlando show was to totally drunk to remember the lyrics he had to ask the crowd for them thankfully a handful of us knew it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 9:22 am

i think just about everyone has covered kiss the bottle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 1:42 pm

did i ever tell you guys that i really like jawbreaker?
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Hey Dan, I also enjoy Jawbreaker. Let's be friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 8:05 pm

lets have sex
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Then we can both go mope about it to be closer to Blake.
Back to top Go down
bilmas
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 36
Cool Points : 5828
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm

fyi blake has a new band with aaron cometbus and daniela from the gr'ups and the television show the L word. they're called thorns of life right now and they've played five shows so far. none get announced but most are in brooklyn and if you keep your ear to the ground you can find out where they are. if i hear of anything i'll post it.

three of the shows have been at the fort, one at disgraceland (philly) and one at a gallery.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 3:55 pm

yeah im super excited.

i think someone already posted a thread about it though
Back to top Go down
againstmax
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
againstmax

Male Number of posts : 1164
Cool Points : 5940
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:59 am

I fucking love this band. God Dammit
Back to top Go down
Seedboy
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Seedboy

Male Number of posts : 37
Cool Points : 5798
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 am

I went through a huge Jawbreaker phase in high school. Dear You was my absolute favorite, but that's because it was the only one I actually owned on CD (I never burned the rest because I was stingy with CD-Rs... I was sure I'd get myself an mp3 player as soon as I burned the other albums to disc. and naturally I got my first iPod just this past week).

I was reading through the recent thread on the Beatles, in which they were compared to Against Me! (in terms of their sound evolution) and it got me thinking about other bands I've seen compared to Against Me!. I think my favorite comparison was to Jawbreaker. I can't remember where I read this comparison (it may have well been this very board), but it pointed out a lot of similarities in the histories of both bands.

in 1990, Jawbreaker released Unfun and the punks loved it.
in 2001, Against Me! released Reinventing Axl Rose and the punks loved it.

in 1992, Jawbreaker released Bivouac, which some punks loved and other punks were weary about the slight shift in song writing, but still (for the most part) accepted it.
in 2003, Against Me! released As the Eternal Cowboy, which some punks loved and other punks were weary about the production values, but still (for the most part) accepted it.

in 1994, Jawbreaker released 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, with a newfound recognition after playing shows with bands like Nirvana. The sound of the album is beginning to stray away from their first LP but still contains some elements of "old" Jawbreaker, and features songs in response to the angry fans for the band gaining a wider audience.. (Boxcar)
in 2005, Against Me! released Searching For a Former Clarity, with a new found recognition after playing on the Van's Warped Tour and having a music video on FUSE. The sound of the album is continuing to stray away from their first LP, but still contains elements of "old" Against Me!, and features songs in response to gaining attention from major labels (Unprotected Sex).

in 1995 Jawbreaker released their major label debut, Dear You. The album is different, but still an overall strong effort. However, the touring and pissed off punks cause tensions amongst the band and it collapses.
in 2007, Against Me! released their major label debut, New Wave. The album is different, but still an overall strong effort. The band continues to tour and would rather just ignore the pissed off punks and not answer anymore questions about people who accuse them of selling out. Planning their follow up to New Wave whenever their producer is done working with Green Day.

I know there's a lot of over simplification, but the basic picture is there.

Anyone else think the parallels are there? or am I just crazy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nonewpaltz
Seedboy
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Seedboy

Male Number of posts : 37
Cool Points : 5798
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 12:43 am

also, I was under the impression that Blake still teaches at Hunter. I have some friends who go there, but none of them are really into English so I never bothered to ask them if they've seen him around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nonewpaltz
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JAWBREAKER!   JAWBREAKER! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JAWBREAKER!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next