Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)

Go down 
+19
Kyle
abstract illusion
Toadvine
BradGodfrey
kansas
Daggar Slade
I Hate Winnipeg
Fornikatieng
bobsagetmuch
FLIP
ska_sean
Mike
Stalls_Standing
brizanne__
Gary - IRL
spraypainthero
AM!ShitSTroll
lex
etan
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
etan
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 6
Cool Points : 5865
Registration date : 2008-04-20

We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Empty
PostSubject: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 7:14 pm

My friend and I were talking about this song this weekend. We came to the conclusion that this song is about Tom's guitar and "mary" is the name of the guitar. Is this true? Or is it refering to something else?
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7587
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I always thought it was Mary, like the Virgin Mary. But I could definitely be wrong..
Back to top Go down
AM!ShitSTroll
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
AM!ShitSTroll

Male Number of posts : 516
Cool Points : 5924
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 7:22 pm

its definitely the Virgin Mary...even on their website the lyrics section says in parenthesis "as in the Virgin"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sporadicballard
spraypainthero
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
spraypainthero

Male Number of posts : 823
Cool Points : 5982
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 am

says it in the liner notes of the album as wel
Back to top Go down
Gary - IRL
DEAR SHITHEAD!
Gary - IRL

Male Number of posts : 108
Cool Points : 5888
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Quote :
it was a birthday gift from a mexican telecaster that from this day on i will play along to all my young pioneers records. and there will be a poetry spoken silently between me and the stereo. i'll work mornings and you can work through the night. mary (as in "the virgin"), there is no hope for us. if this gm van don't make it across the state line we might as well lay down and die. because if florida takes us, we're taking everyone down with us. where we're coming from (yeah) will be the death us. and i cannot help but hold on to a handful of times when what was spoken was a revolution in itself, and what we were doing was the only thing that mattered. and how good it felt to kill the memory of nights spent holding your shirt for the smell. i heard you used to cry when you made love to him, but this band will play on. because all we can do is what we've always done. and on and on...

just to post the lyrics.

it's pretty straight forward, just bein in a band trying to get out of your homestate. the chorus is like a prayer that the whole band sings.

i do not know what the line about "you used to cry when you made love to him" is about. i guess there's a girl that they are playing for. maybe another Mary they know or something... that'd be weird if they knew a Mary and sang her name out and referred in the booklet to the virgin mary.... hah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:34 pm

i love the (Young) Pioneers.......who seconds?
Back to top Go down
brizanne__
Untouchable
Untouchable
brizanne__

Female Number of posts : 305
Cool Points : 5928
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:31 pm

AM!ShitSTroll wrote:
its definitely the Virgin Mary...even on their website the lyrics section says in parenthesis "as in the Virgin"

yepp.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Stalls_Standing

Male Number of posts : 1815
Cool Points : 5945
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I am striving to write a chorus as amazing as that, but yet to no avail.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kieranpunx
Mike
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 3153
Cool Points : 7530
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 4:24 am

I think it's mostly just a fun-drunken-type singalong song. Just because if florida takes us we're taking everyone down with us.
Back to top Go down
ska_sean
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
ska_sean

Male Number of posts : 1792
Cool Points : 6747
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:27 am

i cannot help but hold on to a handful of times when what was spoken was a revolution in itself, and what we were doing was the only thing that mattered. and how good it felt to kill the memory of nights spent holding your shirt for the smell. i heard you used to cry when you made love to him, but this band will play on....
one of the best lines in all of music
Back to top Go down
FLIP
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
FLIP

Male Number of posts : 759
Cool Points : 6118
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 am

dandangoose wrote:

second.
Back to top Go down
bobsagetmuch
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
bobsagetmuch

Male Number of posts : 51
Cool Points : 5697
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 1:30 pm

That second verse is fucking boss.
Back to top Go down
Fornikatieng
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Fornikatieng

Female Number of posts : 2109
Cool Points : 7457
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:03 pm

I scream this song and hang out the window on every roadtrip I take.

There is a a danger portion.
Back to top Go down
I Hate Winnipeg
From Her Lips to God's Ears
From Her Lips to God's Ears
I Hate Winnipeg

Male Number of posts : 166
Cool Points : 5874

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm

FLIP wrote:
dandangoose wrote:

second.

hell yeah
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mybakuyaku
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Daggar Slade

Male Number of posts : 2827
Cool Points : 7790
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I Hate Winnipeg wrote:
FLIP wrote:
dandangoose wrote:

second.

hell yeah
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/daggar_slade
bobsagetmuch
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
bobsagetmuch

Male Number of posts : 51
Cool Points : 5697
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Fornikatieng wrote:
I scream this song and hang out the window on every roadtrip I take.

There is a a danger portion.

Ooh, a few weeks ago i was listening to RAR in the car and almost hit somebody while going crazy on that first break into the Politics of Starving.
Back to top Go down
kansas
Untouchable
Untouchable
kansas

Male Number of posts : 289
Cool Points : 5822
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok the song is about doing what you love, and not letting ANYTHING stop you. Against Me! hails from florida, when they say "if florida takes us" they mean, if florida holds them down, if they never get their message, if they never get past their home town, if they never make the impact they want to, then everyone who ever was in the same situation as them, they minus well lay down and die.

The women Tom refurs to is just another obstacle in the way of doing what he has always loved. This song is about coming to peace with what people feel compelled to do for themselves.

"Don't let anything hold you back from what you have to do for for yourself, never let them take you alive" is the message.

THe ending is about finally accepting what he is doing, for himself, is bigger than a girl or anything else. He basically says" I have never felt better, I finally can let go of all the nights where I was on tour (doing what I have to for everybody just like me) sitting back regretting and remembering what we had, I finally know that this thing were doing is better than anything you and me could ever had. And we won't stop, because we can't this is us, we've always been doing this, and will go "on and on and on"."

I mean "If florida takes us" means if the people from their home holds them down (friends family lovers) from going out into the world (not florida) and doing what they were made for, then they minus well lay down and die, because if their home holds them back then they'll never finish what they were made to do, they minus well lay down and die because held back by their everybody at home, they'll never share with the world what they were made to do (what they are alive and destined to accomplish)

stolen, but i really think this is what it means.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/TheZombieZoo
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6149
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 am

I don't know if anyone else here watches movies that crimethinc comes out with, but this song is in the credits of a movie called the miami model.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Male Number of posts : 1167
Cool Points : 6911
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I think this is a fairly strait forward song about... being on tour, escaping the binds of your comfort zone (home state) and realizing your dream for music. The chorus is a prayer, hence the reference to the virgin marry.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/graham.taylor.90
abstract illusion
Untouchable
Untouchable
abstract illusion

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 5851
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 am

i like the thought that mary is tom's telecaster.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Male Number of posts : 1167
Cool Points : 6911
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm

It sounds more like Mary, and the woman towards the end of the song aren't the same thing. So Mary could easily be the Telecaster. Or just the Virgin Mary for the sake of the prayer-chorus.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/graham.taylor.90
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

Male Number of posts : 3639
Cool Points : 7434
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Doesn't it say, "Mary (as in the Virgin) there is no hope for us...", in the liner notes?
Back to top Go down
dannyglover
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 280
Cool Points : 5989
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Kyle wrote:
Doesn't it say, "Mary (as in the Virgin) there is no hope for us...", in the liner notes?
Yes, it does. Which is why I don't understand why people aren't clear on how to interpret it. It's fairly straightforward.
Back to top Go down
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

Male Number of posts : 3639
Cool Points : 7434
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Zing.
Back to top Go down
Ana
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ana

Female Number of posts : 4576
Cool Points : 8926

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:35 am

dannyglover wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Yes, it does. Which is why I don't understand why people aren't clear on how to interpret it. It's fairly straightforward.

Thanks for saying it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)   We laugh at danger(and break all the rules) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We laugh at danger(and break all the rules)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next