Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Because of the Shame

Go down 
+31
oldgospelchoir
occultenemynumberone
nickno
Pants
HeartBurns
Knate
Chops4569
Johnny99
raptorsaurus
Armageddon
laurendelore
Electric
dannyglover
brayhold
ThusSpokeYourFace
blake
Clint
Shawn!
Grizzly Adams
ashley
Mr Stocks
ih8thecharts
mookao
Aaron
Tim
Mechamunky
DavyGrolton
Jozsa
cooljayhu
Mike
Ana
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Grizzly Adams
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Grizzly Adams

Male Number of posts : 63
Cool Points : 5747
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Because of the Shame - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:09 am

I wonder if the lyrics were written as a creative concept type of thing, or a true story about an ex girlfriend or wife actually dying?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9216
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:16 am

I read it was a sequel to Thrash Unreal.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly Adams
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Grizzly Adams

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah that's a cool way to look at it. Personally, I see Thrash Unreal as a lady in her 40's, used to have a lot of friend's and had supportive family, got into the 70's/80's rock scene and fell into drugs, then lost everything but she still lives with what she has and doesn't give a fuck, but she wishes that there were these young guys in the current scene who understood and respected her, so Against Me writes a song for her and it makes her feel happy when she hears it on the radio in the strip bar change room. There must be a few thousand of these ladies out there so it's such a good song. Just my opinion again! Because Of The Shame, it seems like it's a younger girl who he had a personal relationship with, where Thrash Unreal was more metaphorical?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:30 am

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Yeah that's a cool way to look at it. Personally, I see Thrash Unreal as a lady in her 40's, used to have a lot of friend's and had supportive family, got into the 70's/80's rock scene and fell into drugs, then lost everything but she still lives with what she has and doesn't give a fuck, but she wishes that there were these young guys in the current scene who understood and respected her, so Against Me writes a song for her and it makes her feel happy when she hears it on the radio in the strip bar change room. There must be a few thousand of these ladies out there so it's such a good song. Just my opinion again! Because Of The Shame, it seems like it's a younger girl who he had a personal relationship with, where Thrash Unreal was more metaphorical?

But she IS in her 20s, isn't she?
Back to top Go down
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

Male Number of posts : 1007
Cool Points : 5937
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 am

DavyGrolton wrote:
I'm so fucking pissed it's been up since April 28th of 2009.

It's a live version of a song that DOESNT Exist anymore.

Jesus Christ. I hate major labels.

I don't blame them for signing I just hate the whole "god forbid music be shared" thing.
can't ya reupload it?
Back to top Go down
Grizzly Adams
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Grizzly Adams

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Nah she's definitely older. "You reach a point where there’s not a lie in the world that you could use to make the boys believe you're still in you twenties" is saying that you're getting older and the younger guys can tell.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Nah she's definitely older. "You reach a point where there’s not a lie in the world that you could use to make the boys believe you're still in you twenties" is saying that you're getting older and the younger guys can tell.

It sounds a lot like she is in her twenties and drugs have made her look older than she is, when she tries to reintroduce herself to going out to clubs, to me.
Back to top Go down
Clint
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Clint

Male Number of posts : 1801
Cool Points : 6760
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 pm

AarnKrry wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:

It sounds a lot like she is in her twenties and drugs have made her look older than she is, when she tries to reintroduce herself to going out to clubs, to me.

She can still hear that rebel yell just as loud as it was in 1983.

This puts her in her late 30's - early 40's
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Clint wrote:
AarnKrry wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:

That's just a reference to the song Rebel Yell, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

Male Number of posts : 490
Cool Points : 5685
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 pm

AarnKrry wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:

I think they meant shes gotten to a stage where she can't cover up the fact shes not in her twenties, drugs being partly why. The "she can still hear that rebel yell just as loud as it was in 1983" is a reference to the Billy Idol song/album, she being in her early 20's when it was released. I thought that confirmed she was likely in her 40's
Back to top Go down
Clint
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Clint

Male Number of posts : 1801
Cool Points : 6760
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm

AarnKrry wrote:
Clint wrote:
AarnKrry wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:

Yeah, but the key word is "still"
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Clint wrote:
AarnKrry wrote:
Clint wrote:
AarnKrry wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:

Yeah, but the key word is "still"

Yeah, but.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly Adams
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Grizzly Adams

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:29 am

Who thinks she's a stripper?
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7994
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 1:09 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
brayhold
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
brayhold

Male Number of posts : 24
Cool Points : 5828
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 am

tom answered this in an interview quite a while ago. i dont know who did the interview, but the woman in the song was a waitress at a diner. he said that he was at a table, and wondered what her back story was, so began the song "Thrash Unreal"
Back to top Go down
Jozsa
Untouchable
Untouchable
Jozsa

Male Number of posts : 409
Cool Points : 6187
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 am

brayhold wrote:
tom answered this in an interview quite a while ago. i dont know who did the interview, but the woman in the song was a waitress at a diner. he said that he was at a table, and wondered what her back story was, so began the song "Thrash Unreal"

I heard the same story, but I don’t think it was a waitress. My paraphrase -He said he was a shitty diner (think Dennys, but worse) and it was about the time when the bars let out. Some older woman was there and was flirting with the waiter or something. That’s how I remember it.

Update:
I found it on the forum, but I can’t find the interview link. I didn’t really look that hard though.

"I was having a conversation with Butch one day on the phone about where we were at with the songwriting. He suggested trying a different direction… specifically I should try writing a song that was a cross between “Rebel, Rebel” and “Walk On The Wild Side.” So the “Ba ba-ba’s” in the chorus are Lou Reed’s “The colored girls singing ‘Do, do-do, do-do.” The story in lyrics first started coming to me one night when I was sitting at the Clock Restaurant, a shitty 24 diner—think Denny’s but worse—in Gainesville. It was a little after two in the morning and the bars had just let out. There was one woman up at the counter talking with a couple of the guys that were sitting there. She looked to be in her late 40s, early 50s. I could tell she had been out partying, drinking. I started making up a story to go along with her in my head."
Back to top Go down
dannyglover
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 280
Cool Points : 5991
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Jozsa wrote:
brayhold wrote:

I heard the same story, but I don’t think it was a waitress. My paraphrase -He said he was a shitty diner (think Dennys, but worse) and it was about the time when the bars let out. Some older woman was there and was flirting with the waiter or something. That’s how I remember it.

Update:
I found it on the forum, but I can’t find the interview link. I didn’t really look that hard though.

"I was having a conversation with Butch one day on the phone about where we were at with the songwriting. He suggested trying a different direction… specifically I should try writing a song that was a cross between “Rebel, Rebel” and “Walk On The Wild Side.” So the “Ba ba-ba’s” in the chorus are Lou Reed’s “The colored girls singing ‘Do, do-do, do-do.” The story in lyrics first started coming to me one night when I was sitting at the Clock Restaurant, a shitty 24 diner—think Denny’s but worse—in Gainesville. It was a little after two in the morning and the bars had just let out. There was one woman up at the counter talking with a couple of the guys that were sitting there. She looked to be in her late 40s, early 50s. I could tell she had been out partying, drinking. I started making up a story to go along with her in my head."
"He suggested trying a different direction."
Yeah guys, you're right, Butch totally had NOTHING to do with AM! changing their sound.
Back to top Go down
dannyglover
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:05 pm

Do I get a negative for that, too? Is criticizing Butch Vig also off-limits?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 pm

dannyglover wrote:
Jozsa wrote:
brayhold wrote:

Update:

Yeah guys, you're right, Butch totally had NOTHING to do with AM! changing their sound.

Oh, sweet Jesus.

Fuck off Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dannyglover
Untouchable
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:26 pm

AarnKrry wrote:
dannyglover wrote:
Jozsa wrote:
brayhold wrote:

Update:

Oh, sweet Jesus.

Fuck off Rolling Eyes
You're right, man. Sorry. They're so much better than they used to be.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm

It's your own fucking opinion, can you not get that into your fucking skull?
Back to top Go down
Jozsa
Untouchable
Untouchable
Jozsa

Male Number of posts : 409
Cool Points : 6187
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Well no, he didn’t ‘ have a major role, at least with New Wave. Tom said in an interview, "With 'Searching for a Former Clarity,' I felt a lot of the songs relied on the songs before or afterwards both lyrically and musically. They only made sense in the context of the record," he says. "With ['New Wave'], I just wanted to write good individual songs that stood on their own.”

I think the same thing is true with White Crosses.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/rock-songs#/news/against-me-optimistic-but-defiant-on-sire-1003580407.story
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:50 pm

I could never possibly explain or recreate the feeling I had the first time I heard the studio version of this <3
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7994
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

The studio version of Because of the Shame is one of the few songs on the album that I think is effing suhweet and better than the live versions I heard.
Back to top Go down
Electric
Untouchable
Untouchable

Male Number of posts : 255
Cool Points : 5712
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:42 pm

I just read in an article that he wrote this song about a girl he knew while growing up, and when she heard "Thrash Unreal" she thought it was about her, and committed suicide. And he wrote "Because of the Shame" about her after attending her funeral, and speaking to her mother. That's really sad, especially because the song isn't even about her..I believe the interview is in the newest SPIN magazine..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Because of the Shame   Because of the Shame - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Because of the Shame
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next