Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Books!!

Go down 
+43
Mr.Grieves
Breakout
raptorsaurus
blake
Various Artists
JessBowles
Chops4569
Johnny99
UnofficialGabriel
deonnametet
cooljayhu
ska_sean
JoshRaymond
noni
Toadvine
Tim
Pants
Ross
Kyle
DavyGrolton
Daggar Slade
lex
laurendelore
Jackattack
godisdead
JustinAtWill
hyperballad
inkstee
unibowler
james
BradGodfrey
Ana
Mark Narra
ashley
defunctalex
Knate
StoolPigeon
SirIan
Mechamunky
Vicious
one of my lies
ThusSpokeYourFace
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10190
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:49 am

When you've learned about Stalin's rise to power, it's interesting to read Animal Farm and make all the connections.
Back to top Go down
Ana
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ana

Female Number of posts : 4576
Cool Points : 8929
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Almost done with Scar Tissue. What should I read next?
Back to top Go down
james
Untouchable
Untouchable
james

Male Number of posts : 252
Cool Points : 6104
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 7:26 pm

i was reading fight club but i know what happens in the movie at the end and thats were i am in the book and i dont have the will to finish the book haha
Back to top Go down
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Male Number of posts : 2403
Cool Points : 7995
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:01 pm

BradGodfrey wrote:
I'm reading "world war Z". It's about zombies, I thoroughly enjoy it. It's got a very cool post civilization look in the later chapters.

I haven't read that but I bought it on CD and listened to it on a trip to visit Justin. Its kick ass and the voice actors make it even more kick ass.
Back to top Go down
Mechamunky
Untouchable
Untouchable
Mechamunky

Male Number of posts : 427
Cool Points : 5987
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 11:27 pm

james wrote:
i was reading fight club but i know what happens in the movie at the end and thats were i am in the book and i dont have the will to finish the book haha

Finish it! The book ends totally different! I believe in you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/upthepunx_47
unibowler
From Her Lips to God's Ears
unibowler

Male Number of posts : 178
Cool Points : 5966
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 12:52 am

has anyone read The Lovely Bones?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/unibowler
inkstee
inkstee

Male Number of posts : 110
Cool Points : 5563
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 2:53 am

BradGodfrey wrote:
I'm reading "world war Z". It's about zombies, I thoroughly enjoy it. It's got a very cool post civilization look in the later chapters.

I flippin loved that book.

Battle of Yonkers was the best chapter.
Back to top Go down
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6152
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 9:30 pm

inkstee wrote:
BradGodfrey wrote:

I flippin loved that book.

Battle of Yonkers was the best chapter.

haha Battle of Yonkers was pretty sweet. Just awesome how they show how useless all our modern technology was against those zombies.
Back to top Go down
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Male Number of posts : 2403
Cool Points : 7995
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:07 pm

SOMEONE ruined the end of 1984 for me. Dustin I'm still racing you to the end though.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7485
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 pm

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (or as Victor Hugo preferred it, Notre-Dame of Paris) is my favorite book. So sad yet so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7778
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 am

SirIan wrote:
SOMEONE ruined the end of 1984 for me.

no i didn't.
Back to top Go down
Vicious
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Vicious

Male Number of posts : 525
Cool Points : 6466
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:41 am

unibowler wrote:
has anyone read The Lovely Bones?

If you don't have a vagina and are not at least 35 and have a daughter, you're probably not going to enjoy this one. Someone recommended it years ago, and whoever it was, I'd like to throat punch.
Back to top Go down
JustinAtWill
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
JustinAtWill

Male Number of posts : 1582
Cool Points : 7155
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:48 am

Some good books,

Once again Battle Royale - Koushun Takami, favorite book of all time.

Dying to Live - Kim Paffenroth

Day by Day Armageddon - J.L. Bourne

Plague of the Dead and its sequel Thunder and Ashes - Z.A. Recht
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xatwillx
inkstee
inkstee

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 4:11 pm

RANT (An Oral Biography of Buster Casey) - Chuck Palahniuk, this book will fuck your brains out.

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk, the last survivor of a major cult suicide. Tender Branson works as a Butler/Servant, in return, all of his paychecks go to his church, and he gets to live at his job. When authorities discover that the church is just out-sourcing slaves to make money, they are shut down, and every person in the church commits suicide. As word reaches all pf the out-sourced servants, they commit suicide. Tender Branson is the last one, and is sort of famous for it.

Good Omens - Niel Gaiman/Terry Pratchett, like The Omen, The Devils son is born, and switched out with another child. The devil sends a demon as the childs nanny to raise him as an evil little turd, however, something went wrong when they switched the children. Now there is a normal boy without powers who was raised by a demon, and the devil's son has all these crazy powers, but is just a normal little boy.

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett, the Grim Reaper gis getting old, and knows when he's going to die. He doesn't want to have to kill himself, so he abandons his job. Everyone stops dying. Kind of a funny book.

Better - Atul Gawande, a series of short stories and narratives on the constant fight to be perfect in medical practice. Stories about perfection, and how it saves people, or about little slip-ups, and how they cost lives.
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 6033
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Rant fucking sucks.

The whole oral bio shit bores me.
I liked the first chapter of the book when it was in the narrative, the rest of it was too thick.

The story line I also like, but just coming from all of those perspectives was too much.
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 pm

i really like Haunted.
Back to top Go down
Jackattack
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Jackattack

Female Number of posts : 520
Cool Points : 6074
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm

I love books, books, books, books! I read all the time. My favorite books are the Lukien books by John Marco. They are so engaging and he makes you feel as if you are there in the story with the characters. This was just a trilogy but he is writing a fourth book to come out next year! I am so excited!
Back to top Go down
Mechamunky
Untouchable
Untouchable
Mechamunky

Male Number of posts : 427
Cool Points : 5987
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Today I found some old Indiana Jones CYOA books and I keep dying or getting the shitty ending, but they are so freakin AWESOME!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/upthepunx_47
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6152
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:41 pm

1984 was pretty sweet. The end was fucking epic actually. I read it in i think 3 weeks while I was in tanzania because dustin had it. How's that for a race to the end!

I'm also starting to read days of war, nights of love. It's something that crimethinc came out with that was written collectively by a bunch of people. So far it seems like it will be very cool, but I'm only about 10 pages in.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:07 pm

I got bored of Palaniuk after reading Rant, and even that book was a slow read because I'd get bored of it, stop reading, start over again, and then stop again, etc etc etc. I think it took me six months to read, lol. I was just no longer shocked by his little twists and turns.
Back to top Go down
Vicious
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Vicious

Male Number of posts : 525
Cool Points : 6466
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I also like books!

Chuck Palaniuk has gone down hill, fast. I enjoyed "Rant" and think it did for the car crash what "Fight Club" did for fight clubs, but that was the last work of Chucky P's that I could stomach reading. "Diary", "Lullaby", "Snuff", and "Pygmy" were all completely horrid, and of them I only finished Lullaby because I was extremely bored and reading choices were limited.

Here's a picture with Chucky P, me in a TBiaPB shirt an old friend made me in highschool, and a fuckdoll on the Choke tour:
Hosted by imgur.com

Originally I was fucking the doll, the dog was eating my ass, and the doll was doming up Chuck. It's not art but that's the first word that comes to mind. That didn't come to pass as a fella we met there, Anthony, in line in front of us saw me practicing the pose and did it with Chuck first. Minus the dog. And the dog was the important part. It added levity where there was previously only rubber-inflated debauchery.

So I ask Chuck if I can get a photo with him. He obliges. The doll, the dog, and I get in position. And then Chuck says, "no. We're not doing that again." And so we did this one instead. C'est la guerre.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 am

I read (in chronological order) Choke, Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, and Rant. I don't even remember Lullaby.
Back to top Go down
inkstee
inkstee

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 am

Choke was my first Palahniuk book, then Rant, then Survivor, and Lullaby was my last.. I didn't like Choke much, I love Rant, and Survivor was also hella good. Lullaby was ...passing.

I never actually read fight club.
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm

for me it was Haunted, Invisible Monsters, Choke, Fight Club, Survivor.
i haven't read any others. i went to get Rant from the library once but they said someone checked it out like a year ago, i didn't try to get it any other way.
Back to top Go down
Mark Narra
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Mark Narra

Male Number of posts : 2332
Cool Points : 6606
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:41 pm

i read choke and fight club and was completely bored. he's a marginal talent at best. both of those books were like beach reads and very surface-level. you can apply whatever watched-out theme of nihlism you'd like, but i don't think there's anything original about what he's doing.

but hey, he's got people reading. that's cool. they should just read other things, too.
Back to top Go down
http://teachyourselfitsbeautiful.com/
Sponsored content

Books!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books!!   Books!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books!!
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next