Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Religion

Go down 
+47
Anthony
ashley
bradupsthepunx
nick gives 35%
pintsogin
defunctalex
Jozsa
DavyGrolton
kansas
StoolPigeon
laurendelore
JustinAtWill
SirIan
whapper
Shawn!
Johnny99
hyperballad
dustin
againstmax
WWD4D?
Ana
atom
Mike
anarchotheory
JoshRaymond
Pants
henotbusybeingborn
JakobDoetman
ScubaS7eve
ska_sean
filehelp
Joaquin_Honest
erin_adaze
Kyle
Lil RoRo
kropotkin
Cliche Guevara
black_flags_raised_high
JAPSoccer13
BettyOakes
Ross
arollo
iloveyourmom
ClockworkRobot
billy pilgrim
lex
walkingmakesyoustrong
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
JoshRaymond
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
JoshRaymond

Male Number of posts : 6478
Cool Points : 8953
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 pm

http://www.scientology.org/

Religion - Page 9 Tom-cruise-scientology
Back to top Go down
nick gives 35%
From Her Lips to God's Ears
From Her Lips to God's Ears
nick gives 35%

Male Number of posts : 144
Cool Points : 5717
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:15 pm

StoolPigeon wrote:
He said he's a Christian in a way, because he follows Jesus' teachings, not because he believes he's a god. Just like one is a Leninist, because he/she follows Lenin's teachings, not because he/she thinks Lenin is a god. It's not the conventional way of calling oneself a Christian, but it's a valid one. And how does it make sense to be a Christian and Jewish? One doesn't have to follow ALL of one's teachings to call themself a follower of that person, either. Just because Jesus died on the cross for his people, doesn't make him a god. Martyrs have existed for millenia, he's just one of the more noteable.

but lennin never claimed to be a god. there's the difference. comparing lenin to Jesus (i love them both) doesn't accomplish anything for that argument.
and the christian/Jewish thing. Jews don't believe Jesus was the messiah. that's where i draw the similarity of a christian believing in Jesus but not in him being the savior.
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7872
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Josh @ rofl

I'd say "it's not a religion, it's a cult", but then I remembered all religions are cults anyway.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Male Number of posts : 1167
Cool Points : 6913
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:13 am

Technically any sort of organized belief in a single ideal is a cult.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/graham.taylor.90
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7872
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 am

anarchyintheUS wrote:
Technically any sort of organized belief in a single ideal is a cult.

My point exactly. \o/
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10189
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am

nick gives 35% wrote:
StoolPigeon wrote:
He said he's a Christian in a way, because he follows Jesus' teachings, not because he believes he's a god. Just like one is a Leninist, because he/she follows Lenin's teachings, not because he/she thinks Lenin is a god. It's not the conventional way of calling oneself a Christian, but it's a valid one. And how does it make sense to be a Christian and Jewish? One doesn't have to follow ALL of one's teachings to call themself a follower of that person, either. Just because Jesus died on the cross for his people, doesn't make him a god. Martyrs have existed for millenia, he's just one of the more noteable.

but lennin never claimed to be a god. there's the difference. comparing lenin to Jesus (i love them both) doesn't accomplish anything for that argument.
and the christian/Jewish thing. Jews don't believe Jesus was the messiah. that's where i draw the similarity of a christian believing in Jesus but not in him being the savior.

Still, you don't need to believe someone is a god to consider yourself a follower of that person. And Judaism mentions nothing about Jesus. Muslim, in that regard, is closer, considering they actually considered Jesus to be a prophet.
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7994
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 pm

I think people use religion to fill in the gaps between what we know and want to believe, when really we all know nothing. And it's okay.
Before Newton everyone thought we were the center of the universe and Galileo wrote all this shit about the heavens...
Now even a religious person would be like, wtf that's ridiculous.
It seems like whenever there are advances in science that answer big question or change our outlook on things people just adjust their religion to fit. Of course if it would take too much adjusting they just claim its not true.
Not to say religion is bad. It can be good.
I just think that the role it plays is mostly to reassure people and make them feel like their lives are important (There's a god watching out for me, the universe or whatever cares about what happens to me) rather than to feel like their lives are just random and its all up to you and your luck.
But you can also have morality and a higher purpose without having a deity in the picture.

That was kind of disjointed and badly worded.
But I don't care.

Also, I think Hinduism is really interesting.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 pm

See, I'm not sure if it's so much to fill a void in their lives, we live in a rather informed age. We're not the Greeks who made up gods to answer their questions about nature. For me religion is more a means for people to feel like, almost like the weight of the world isn't on their shoulders, that there's some one much bigger than they are twitching shit to move things along. It's the same reason we continually look for causes of climate change, or start to drive and use more energy efficient shit, because we want to shrug the blame off on the heathens that still drive SUVs, like we'd want to blame our deity of choice for whatever bad happens in the world, and when good things happen, we can say, oh, it's because I believed.
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Well thats true too.
But as informed as we are, we still know very little. And there are still a lot of gaps to fill in. I mean, yeah, we landed on the moon, we have all kinds of advanced technology, etc. But there are still some big questions to be answered. Like why are we here in the first place? And religion is certainly an easy way to answer them.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10189
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 5:29 am

I do think you're both right. I mean, we really aren't much different in nature from how we were in ancient Greece. We still look for answers, and many people find their answers can be found more in religion than in science. I prefer the latter of the two, but that doesn't make religion a bad thing. I'm also inclined to believe what the Bolsheviks said, being that religion was made up by the ruling class to keep the working class oppressed. That is, they can continue their lives in the shittiest of conditions and still know that there will be an infinitely better afterlife waiting for them. Though, I'd say it's not so much made up by the ruling class, as exploited by the ruling class.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Here's my thoughts on that though. If you WANT to believe that your life amongst the dregs of society, then why not? I have this profound hatred for people who purposefully go out and try to convince people who believe in whatever religion (primarily christianity) for the sole benefit of disproving them. It reminds me of the kids who told other kids santa wasn't real, just because your life has been made miserable by that revelation doesn't mean you should push it on others. Now I know religions do go out to convert, and some are more harsh than others, and that's where I enjoy Judaism, they don't have an extremely active recruitment. But if you're going to say that Religion was created to push the people down, wouldn't it be just as easy to say that Moral law in general was created to keep people 'in their place' ? There's a quote in Blood Meridian about that:

Quote :
Moral law is an invention of mankind for the disenfranchisement of the powerful in favor of the weak. Historical law subverts it at every turn. A moral view can never be proven right or wrong by any ultimate test. A man falling dead in a duel is not thought thereby to be proven in error as to his views. His very involvement in such a trial gives evidence of a new and broader view.
- The Judge

which in some ways is very true, but it's a dark way to see the world.
Back to top Go down
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Religion - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Proof of God: