Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Religion

Go down 
+47
Anthony
ashley
bradupsthepunx
nick gives 35%
pintsogin
defunctalex
Jozsa
DavyGrolton
kansas
StoolPigeon
laurendelore
JustinAtWill
SirIan
whapper
Shawn!
Johnny99
hyperballad
dustin
againstmax
WWD4D?
Ana
atom
Mike
anarchotheory
JoshRaymond
Pants
henotbusybeingborn
JakobDoetman
ScubaS7eve
ska_sean
filehelp
Joaquin_Honest
erin_adaze
Kyle
Lil RoRo
kropotkin
Cliche Guevara
black_flags_raised_high
JAPSoccer13
BettyOakes
Ross
arollo
iloveyourmom
ClockworkRobot
billy pilgrim
lex
walkingmakesyoustrong
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

Male Number of posts : 1007
Cool Points : 5936
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Johnny99 wrote:
Shawn! wrote:
Johnny99 wrote:
please, do not take his interpretation of good NOFX as good NOFX.
Haha, I like those songs

thats because you are 16.
i probably liked it then too.
but so long and thanks for all the shoes, the decline, and punk in drublic are my 3 favorite nofx discs.
Punk In Drublic is in my top 5
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7776
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 2:11 am

hyperballad wrote:
Pants wrote:
I went to Catholic school for 12 years and I don't have a single problem talking/discussing/arguing/etc about religion. I can find many things wrong with it, as well as many things right. But I'm not religious a single bit.
I don't mind talking about religion, but don't be rude to me about what sort of book I'm reading about religious analysis. If I was working somewhere and saw someone reading a religious text, I wouldn't make them feel bad for their beliefs.

i don't see how it's rude. all he said was that he had a problem with that. it's his beliefs. the "come back and talk about Jesus" was a bit much but other than that...

and you should never feel bad for your beliefs and definantly never let someone make you feel bad for your beliefs.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 7743
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 am

hyperballad wrote:
Pants wrote:
I went to Catholic school for 12 years and I don't have a single problem talking/discussing/arguing/etc about religion. I can find many things wrong with it, as well as many things right. But I'm not religious a single bit.
I don't mind talking about religion, but don't be rude to me about what sort of book I'm reading about religious analysis. If I was working somewhere and saw someone reading a religious text, I wouldn't make them feel bad for their beliefs.

I understand ya, I'm just saying, talk back to him. Argue if you must. Sometimes, it's kind of fun. Not in a narcissistic kind of way, just arguing on the basis of fact rather than beliefs is great. Especially when using the bible as fact.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7483
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:39 pm

I just thought it wasn't really the time or place for a debate.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Male Number of posts : 2403
Cool Points : 7993
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 am

laurendelore wrote:
I googled my grandpa's name the other day and a complete stranger had taken a picture of his gravestone and posted it on flickr. It made me feel really weird and kinda sad. Even though he died 6 years ago, I miss my grandpa so much cause he was the only person who talked to me and never made me feel like I was the black sheep.

Lately I've been smelling and seeing all of these things that remind me of him. He was a logger and sometimes I wake up smelling redwood, coffee and tobacco. I feel like a bad person because I'm really skeptical about Jesus Christ but I'm thoroughly convinced that my grandpa is hanging out with me, smoking pipes and reading books.

anarchyintheUS wrote:
Yeah, I used to see my grandpa sitting at the edge of my bed at night for like... 3 years after his death. Could smell pipe tobacco and felt warm and safe inside. Then again I averaged like 3hrs of sleep a night and was 7, but still felt too real to just be hallucinations, though I wouldn't say Jesus is directly involved, it did feel like... a sort of guardian angel or something other worldly.

Why is it that whenever people (not just you guys) feel they've had some form of supernatural experience it involves Jesus Christ?
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Untouchable
Untouchable
Anthony

Male Number of posts : 383
Cool Points : 5933
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Did anyone read this?
http://news.aol.com/article/father-prayed-instead-of-getting-help/496034
It makes me fucking sick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/teenage_punching_bag/#3294469
JustinAtWill
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
JustinAtWill

Male Number of posts : 1582
Cool Points : 7153
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Jesus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xatwillx
laurendelore
juicebox romeo
laurendelore

Female Number of posts : 1185
Cool Points : 6909
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:32 pm

SirIan wrote:
laurendelore wrote:
I googled my grandpa's name the other day and a complete stranger had taken a picture of his gravestone and posted it on flickr. It made me feel really weird and kinda sad. Even though he died 6 years ago, I miss my grandpa so much cause he was the only person who talked to me and never made me feel like I was the black sheep.

Lately I've been smelling and seeing all of these things that remind me of him. He was a logger and sometimes I wake up smelling redwood, coffee and tobacco. I feel like a bad person because I'm really skeptical about Jesus Christ but I'm thoroughly convinced that my grandpa is hanging out with me, smoking pipes and reading books.

anarchyintheUS wrote:
Yeah, I used to see my grandpa sitting at the edge of my bed at night for like... 3 years after his death. Could smell pipe tobacco and felt warm and safe inside. Then again I averaged like 3hrs of sleep a night and was 7, but still felt too real to just be hallucinations, though I wouldn't say Jesus is directly involved, it did feel like... a sort of guardian angel or something other worldly.

Why is it that whenever people (not just you guys) feel they've had some form of supernatural experience it involves Jesus Christ?

Because how can there be "ghosts" if I'm not sure that I believe in an afterlife? i.e. Heaven.
Back to top Go down
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Anthony wrote:
Did anyone read this?

He promises to heal us! It says so right in the bible! Why would God break a promise?!

Because he isn't real.

laurendelore wrote:
SirIan wrote:
laurendelore wrote:

anarchyintheUS wrote:

Because how can there be "ghosts" if I'm not sure that I believe in an afterlife? i.e. Heaven.

So because you think your grandpa is watching you that means there is a heaven? So why isn't he in heaven? Why isn't he in hell? If there is an afterlife why does it have to be the christian one?
Back to top Go down
laurendelore
juicebox romeo
laurendelore

Female Number of posts : 1185
Cool Points : 6909
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Wow dude, I wasn't trying to start a fuckin' debate over my dead grandpa. I've been raised being taught that there is only a Christian afterlife and nothing else. I've never been taught that supernatural experiences have any place in that. I'm not preaching that as the truth, it's just what I've always been told and thinking about what is true and what isn't true makes my head hurt.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

Male Number of posts : 2868
Cool Points : 7810
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:05 pm

SirIan wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Did anyone read this?

He promises to heal us! It says so right in the bible! Why would God break a promise?!

Because he isn't real.

laurendelore wrote:
SirIan wrote:
laurendelore wrote:

anarchyintheUS wrote:

So because you think your grandpa is watching you that means there is a heaven? So why isn't he in heaven? Why isn't he in hell? If there is an afterlife why does it have to be the christian one?

not just christian people believe in an afterlife. i think most religions have some idea of an afterlife.
Back to top Go down
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm just curious as to why it has to be Jesus. Nonreligious people think they have some experience and claim it was Jesus Christ and I don't get why.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Because he was a zombie. That's just fuckin' cool.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Male Number of posts : 1167
Cool Points : 6912
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Why not Jesus? The guy is recognized as a pretty cool dude by every other biblical religion (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) so it's not like he's just this ass hole who every one worships. I mean, sure you could go and say, hey it was Santa who helped bring me back with my grandfather, but it's much easier to identify with some one most people see as a really good guy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/graham.taylor.90
SirIan
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
SirIan

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

anarchyintheUS wrote:
Why not Jesus? The guy is recognized as a pretty cool dude by every other biblical religion (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) so it's not like he's just this ass hole who every one worships. I mean, sure you could go and say, hey it was Santa who helped bring me back with my grandfather, but it's much easier to identify with some one most people see as a really good guy.

Jesus was a really good guy. But thats it, he was just some guy, he isn't god. He had some good teachings, I follow them and in a way I'm christian, but I don't worship him. He didn't walk on water, raise the dead or any of that other crap the bible says. I don't think the authors of the bible were trying to lie to us though, I think the stories were intended to be taken as a spiritual truth rather than a literal truth. That they were meant to be metaphoric stories. Thats my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I have to agree, but I also am a firm believer in the power of Human faith, and the idea that these morals, beset by these books and parables are of a higher teaching than Man could ever write. Think about it, if we had it our way, would it not be survival of the fittest instead of help thy neighbor? That's why i believe in a higher being, something greater than us, because lets face it. We're fuck-ups, and to follow a teaching strictly written by Man makes me slightly bitter inside because Man is selfish, we do things to get ahead to get what we want, even if that thing we want is 'good' like... world peace or something, we're doing it out of a selfish desire to be happy. I feel there almost NEEDS to be something better than us, otherwise everything we've been taught is moot, because it's been created by extremely flawed beings. I'm not saying Jesus is a god, or anything like that, but I am saying, we as humans need something higher to believe in, need something beyond us and our mortal selves to feel some purpose, otherwise we're nothing more than glorified apes. That's my primary view on religion, that no matter what, we'll always believe in something greater than ourselves in order to make us humble, to keep us on the 'path to righteousness', to keep these morals and teachings of any sort of value in our eyes, they need to be of something bigger than ourselves.
Back to top Go down
nick gives 35%
From Her Lips to God's Ears
From Her Lips to God's Ears
nick gives 35%

Male Number of posts : 144
Cool Points : 5716
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 am

SirIan wrote:
anarchyintheUS wrote:

Jesus was a really good guy. But thats it, he was just some guy, he isn't god. He had some good teachings, I follow them and in a way I'm christian, but I don't worship him. He didn't walk on water, raise the dead or any of that other crap the bible says. I don't think the authors of the bible were trying to lie to us though, I think the stories were intended to be taken as a spiritual truth rather than a literal truth. That they were meant to be metaphoric stories. Thats my opinion.

by saying Jesus isn't god and then saying you're christian in a way show s you have no idea what you're talking about. unless you're Jewish. You say he had some good teachings, what about when he said i am the way the truth and the life............guess what . that's because hes god. some really nice guy walking down the street doesn't pave the way for the salvation of millions. if you want to have a serious conversation about this i would encourage you to pm me.
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7871
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 am

nick gives 35% wrote:
by saying Jesus isn't god and then saying you're christian in a way show s you have no idea what you're talking about.unless you're Jewish.

rofl

For some reason the way you put that made me giggle.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10188
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 am

He said he's a Christian in a way, because he follows Jesus' teachings, not because he believes he's a god. Just like one is a Leninist, because he/she follows Lenin's teachings, not because he/she thinks Lenin is a god. It's not the conventional way of calling oneself a Christian, but it's a valid one. And how does it make sense to be a Christian and Jewish? One doesn't have to follow ALL of one's teachings to call themself a follower of that person, either. Just because Jesus died on the cross for his people, doesn't make him a god. Martyrs have existed for millenia, he's just one of the more noteable.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

I just think it would be pretty hard to worship someone that has so many different accounts of what he did. The different Gospels and such had so many interpretations of what he did because the Bible was pretty much rooted in oral tradition.
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7776
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are all written differently because each person interpretated their accounts with Jesus differently. You would most likely describe meeting someone and what they did differently than someone else describing their account with the same person.
Back to top Go down
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6150
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Ya, i guarantee if 4 different people wrote about your life they'd all get it differently. They would emphasize different things, they would leave different things out. It would all come down to what they thought was important.
Back to top Go down

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:50 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8180116.stm
Back to top Go down
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6150
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 5:35 am

That reminds me of the story where that guy's stranded out in the ocean after a shipwreck, and help keeps coming but he keeps saying no to it and that "god will save me". Needless to say he eventually drowns and once he gets into heaven god says "ya know, I tried to save you, but you didn't take my help... DUMBASS!" cause that's how god talks.

If you were to believe in god, then god put those doctors there to easily treat the problem his daughter had, he just didn't accept the help. If you don't believe in god then the guys just an idiot who should have gone to the doctor.
Back to top Go down
Toadvine
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Toadvine

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 5:47 am

It's all a matter of what you WANT to believe. Everything we've ever known could be a lie, and the reason we don't believe it so, is our faith in it. It's a powerful thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Religion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion   Religion - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Religion
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next