Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?

Go down 
+27
Punkocalypse
Aaron
StoolPigeon
Shawn!
Meeg
JessAwesome
breakitdownaliya
Benedetto
Listentocds41
godisdead
YvonneChristina
freedumbxx
mattharris
Ross
ska_sean
Gary - IRL
AdamLikesMusic
pintsogin
Dan
henotbusybeingborn
AM!ShitSTroll
BettyOakes
nickno
one of my lies
Sam Jones!
lex
arollo
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 6031
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 am

Umm, I once read an interview with Tom saying 'How low" was a polictical song, not a personal song, which would be contrary to what other people have said about it on this topic. BUT, they have also said they read about it in an interview saying the opposite of what I'm saying. I am 99% sure, but not being able to prodouce the article right now, I have no leg to stand on.
Back to top Go down
Listentocds41
From Her Lips to God's Ears
Listentocds41

Male Number of posts : 106
Cool Points : 5826
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 4:33 pm

I've always thought of this song, behind all the detailed bologna, was just about the difficulties of just starting and maintaining a relationship. Like, he tried to get with a chick, but fucked it up before he got anywhere with it because he thought way too much about it inside of his head.

But then again i'm the type of person who doesn't analyze songs, just let them take me away......so what do i know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/listentocds41
Benedetto
Untouchable
Untouchable
Benedetto

Male Number of posts : 433
Cool Points : 5642
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Someone should just ask Tom about this. Sadly I'm not going to have the opportunity for a long while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/words_arent_deeds
breakitdownaliya

Female Number of posts : 133
Cool Points : 5655
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 11:34 pm

My friend Sean would always swear up and down that this song was about STDs. I never knew others though the same as him.
Back to top Go down
http://strychninephotography.tumblr.com
JessAwesome
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
JessAwesome

Number of posts : 21
Cool Points : 5234
Registration date : 2010-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm

I definitely think this is about having herpes.
I know people who have it, and that song is epic to them, and dating with herpes. Pretty much describes it to a tee.
Whether or not it actually is about herpes, I'm not sure, it very well might be about something completely different, but talking about it with friends and listening to the lyrics, that's what I think it's about.
Back to top Go down
Meeg
Meeg

Number of posts : 136
Cool Points : 5296
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Yeah, I never thought the lyrics were a metaphor for anything. I always felt it was a story told from the perspective of a guy who recently contracted herpes or AIDS, trying to come to terms with his turmoil, knowing he'd never be able to have a normal sexual relationship again. Heart wrenching stuff. Such an amazing song lyrically, very moving.

I'd also like to say that Searching For A Former Clarity is fucking amazing and my favourite Against Me! album. A masterpiece from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Meeg
Meeg

Number of posts : 136
Cool Points : 5296
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Maybe that's why they subtitled it 'The Mover'. It's a pretty moving song. Sad
Back to top Go down
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

Male Number of posts : 1007
Cool Points : 5936
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:18 pm

mattharris wrote:
i personally think that this forum needs a moderator, way too off topic...
Welcome to the forums.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10188
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Until about a week ago, I hated this song. Now, I'm really starting to like it, and it's relevance to the rest of the album, and the STD metaphor for the music industry.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9215
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:32 pm

I've gone off this song recently. It's pretty clever though. I'm looking forward to the demo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Punkocalypse
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Punkocalypse

Female Number of posts : 5
Cool Points : 4367
Registration date : 2012-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:52 pm

This has multiple meanings but as is pointed out on Wikipedia, as having oblique references to being transgendered, now I could be wrong but that's my opinion!

"Sometimes I pray to wake a different person in a different place"
Back to top Go down
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

Male Number of posts : 3639
Cool Points : 7435
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Pretty much the whole album uses death/disease metaphors.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 7:59 pm

So Laura played a reworked acoustic version of this at Banquet the other day. I'll post mp3 asap.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 pm

As promised... http://www.mediafire.com/listen/1hp1hnvbn6gtph1/Pretty_Girls_(Live_at_Banquet_Records_2014).mp3

Irresponsibility = gender identity
Back to top Go down
Lurch
Lurch

Male Number of posts : 243
Cool Points : 6018
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Oof, so much for subtlety. This is one of my favorite songs from Searching but I'm not a fan of that version. Thankfully it doesn't sound like that with the whole band.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Jersey89
Untouchable
Untouchable
Jersey89

Female Number of posts : 319
Cool Points : 4857
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Never really liked the song until Laura changed the lyrics. Now it's one of my fave AM! songs. Strange how a few words can change everything.
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8692
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I always had a thing for this song. I liked how she made the changes she wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?   Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pretty Girls, or, It Kind Of Sounds Like This Song Is About Herpes?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3