Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’

Go down 
+9
raptorsaurus
Thompson
mitchard
cooljayhu
Kyle
doctoracula
telegraphrocks
Tim
transgender_Amber
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Arthur X
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Arthur X

Number of posts : 16
Cool Points : 3783
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 am

My order would be:

1. Reinventing Axl Rose
2. As the Eternal Cowboy
3. Searching for a Former Clarity
4. New Wave
5. Transgender Dysphoria Blues
6. White Crosses

But I like 'em all.
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Knate wrote:
So after listening to this a few times, I have come to the conclusion that I am not into this new era of the band. I had a free ticket & ride to their Orlando show the other day, and couldn't find the motivation enough to put pants on and climb in a car.

I think 99% are too afraid to agree with me here. Because it's not nice to slam a boy that just recently came out publicly as a lady. I don't really hate it because of that (no matter how you put it, it always comes back to that). And that's the shitty thing about it. I don't hate it because it's different from the norm. I hate it because it's a shitty record. The production is terrible. The drumming sounds awful. The song writing is weak.

If a critic gives this album a bad review, people will try to set them on fire, call them the anti-christ as well as any and all forms of trans-phobic. I admit, it's not my thing either. But if my friend came out, I would indeed support them.

Unconditional Love sounds like the bad era of Green Day during American Idiot. Repeating the same lyrics roughly 2 bazillion times.

Osama sounds like a weird new Offspring B-Side.
Etc.

On the bright side, there ARE songs I like from it, but those are all about 2 years old and nothing new for the majority of us. I'm always a fan of live recordings better, and I think that is my major bugaboo here. Loved the OG Black Me Out, not so much the studio version. And so on.

I still love their old old records, so I'll stick with those.

Now I can't wait for Transgender_Amber to write 14 paragraphs about me being a hater, which I doubt I'll read

I (and I think most members of the board) really appreciate your honesty even if I don't 100% agree with you. I think the open, honest discussion of the high and low points of AM!'s music is what makes this forum great and I never want that to change.
Back to top Go down
saintjonah
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 10
Cool Points : 3962
Registration date : 2013-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Knate wrote:
So after listening to this a few times, I have come to the conclusion that I am not into this new era of the band. I had a free ticket & ride to their Orlando show the other day, and couldn't find the motivation enough to put pants on and climb in a car.

I think 99% are too afraid to agree with me here. Because it's not nice to slam a boy that just recently came out publicly as a lady. I don't really hate it because of that (no matter how you put it, it always comes back to that). And that's the shitty thing about it. I don't hate it because it's different from the norm. I hate it because it's a shitty record. The production is terrible. The drumming sounds awful. The song writing is weak.

If a critic gives this album a bad review, people will try to set them on fire, call them the anti-christ as well as any and all forms of trans-phobic. I admit, it's not my thing either. But if my friend came out, I would indeed support them.

Unconditional Love sounds like the bad era of Green Day during American Idiot. Repeating the same lyrics roughly 2 bazillion times.

Etc.

On the bright side, there ARE songs I like from it, but those are all about 2 years old and nothing new for the majority of us. I'm always a fan of live recordings better, and I think that is my major bugaboo here. Loved the OG Black Me Out, not so much the studio version. And so on.

Now I can't wait for Transgender_Amber to write 14 paragraphs about me being a hater, which I doubt I'll read

While I completely respect your opinion, I find it terribly unfair to assume that anyone that likes this album is scared to do otherwise. As if you're the only soul brave enough to tell it like it is. You aren't "right" in your opinion. There are no facts in your post. It's great that you have such a strongly held opinion, but please don't try to paint a picture where everyone who disagrees with you is somehow wrong and afraid of telling the truth. It's just simply not the case.
Back to top Go down
Arthur X
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Arthur X

Number of posts : 16
Cool Points : 3783
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:15 pm

saintjonah wrote:
Knate wrote:

Etc.

While I completely respect your opinion, I find it terribly unfair to assume that anyone that likes this album is scared to do otherwise. As if you're the only soul brave enough to tell it like it is. You aren't "right" in your opinion. There are no facts in your post. It's great that you have such a strongly held opinion, but please don't try to paint a picture where everyone who disagrees with you is somehow wrong and afraid of telling the truth. It's just simply not the case.
Well said.
Back to top Go down
emmsmem
Untouchable
Untouchable
emmsmem

Female Number of posts : 457
Cool Points : 5995
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I absolutely love certain songs on the last three records, but in terms of complete, front-to-back appreciation, AETC and SFAFC are my favourite two records ever made.
Back to top Go down
telegraphrocks
From Her Lips to God's Ears
telegraphrocks

Male Number of posts : 177
Cool Points : 5934
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm

saintjonah wrote:
Knate wrote:

Etc.

This.
Also, I still think it kicks the shit out of their old stuff, which I absolutely adore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pjsdisco
doctoracula

Number of posts : 127
Cool Points : 5946
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 8:56 pm

i just noticed tonight that laura sings "ephermal" instead of "ephemeral" in unconditional love and its driving me crazy
Back to top Go down
Kyle
thumbless wonder
Kyle

Male Number of posts : 3639
Cool Points : 7435
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm

doctoracula wrote:
i just noticed tonight that laura sings "ephermal" instead of "ephemeral" in unconditional love and its driving me crazy

Noticed that the first time and it's all I think about.

Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 pm

I think the best way I can describe how I approach AM!'s discography is that every time I listen to their latest albums (including TGDB) I like them a little less. The things that bother me like WC's autotune or TGDB's bad sound mixing and at times off-putting lyrics stick out more. They're still good but I want them to be more at the same time.

Whereas every time I listen to the first three albums (and especially the three EPs) I love them a little bit more.

It's the same way I feel about Gaslight Anthem. The first two albums and the first EP were amazing (especially '59 Sound which I think is one of the best punk albums ever). However their last two efforts have not been up to par with their previous work. Objectively they are still very well made, well constructed albums but I just don't connect with them and every time I listen to them I like them less.
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

Female Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 4604
Registration date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Knate wrote:

What is your problem? Your comment about me is rude and disrespectful. plus have you read my recent post from this weekend? I been saying people have been going over board in the media with this album. Also though I respect the topic and think its important I been disappointed with the album over all. Don't make comments about me without first knowing my opinion!

These songs are not even my favorer Transgendered songs.

I Like Manic Street Preachers Born A Girl

Jayne County Transgender rock'n roll

Jayne County Man Enough To Be A Woman

Just to name a few.

The only reason I'm responding to your post is because of your rude comment about me
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

Female Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 4604
Registration date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 am

"originally envisioned as a concept album about a transgender prostitute." http://www.punknews.org/review/12342/against-me-transgender-dysphoria-blues
Back to top Go down
mitchard
Untouchable
Untouchable
mitchard

Male Number of posts : 397
Cool Points : 5360
Registration date : 2010-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm

transgender_Amber wrote:
"originally envisioned as a concept album about a transgender prostitute." http://www.punknews.org/review/12342/against-me-transgender-dysphoria-blues

That has been common knowledge for a long time. Laura herself stated that this was the original idea she presented before she announced the transition.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mitchard
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’   Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poll time Thought on ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2