Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kill one person, save ten other lives

Go down 
+8
Johnny99
hyperballad
ThusSpokeYourFace
ultimo323
pintsogin
Pants
Kam
raptorsaurus
12 posters
AuthorMessage
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8701
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Kill one person, save ten other lives Empty
PostSubject: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 pm

The hypothetical situation is:

Would you be willing to save ten lives by killing one person?

then asked

Would you be willing to save one million lives by killing one hundred thousand people?

supposedly 25% of people who answer yes to the first question, answer no the the second. What I can't understand is why people would answer yes to the first question if they wouldn't be willing to do the second question.

I think it's the ratio that matters, numbers aren't' important. but that's just me. So if you are not willing to do the second question, you shouldn't do the first question.
Back to top Go down
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Kam

Female Number of posts : 513
Cool Points : 5865
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:04 am

You also have to think of the guilt factor and what you can live with.

It's a lot easier to think you can live with the death of one versus one hundred thousand.

Now break it up into a whole bunch of one dead for every ten saved, a person starts to lose track and can go for the second.

Also, killing one person? I could very well kill myself for those ten people. I'd do that, not so much someone else. Wording screws with the human mind man, and numbers (when counting people) do matter.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 7752
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 am

I can't kill anyone, no one life can be valued against another. Even if it saves, I couldn't do it, it's not my right to take a life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

Good point. The problem with hypothetical situations is that they are hypothetical, and can never be applied. There will never be a situation where you are guaranteed the safety of others in exchange for murder. I just found it shocking that people would be so hypocritical about answering differently for the 2 questions.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

Male Number of posts : 3158
Cool Points : 8124
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

i would kill 10 ppl for the 4g iphone
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
ultimo323
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
ultimo323

Male Number of posts : 692
Cool Points : 6417
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 pm

I would Kill ten people if it meant Iphones would be wiped from the face of the earth FOREVER!
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 8002
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Questions like this kind of irritate me because they're not really relevant. In what situation would someone have to make that decision?

Of course If I had to choose between one person dying and ten people dying I'd choose one, but I wouldn't ever kill anyone. Unless they were about to kill me.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7492
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 pm

We were asked questions like this in my Intro to Philosophy class, and it bugged me. As with the rest of the class, it was too abstract and ridiculous to actually answer for me. Yes, it does show how we would react in certain situations, but when is anyone going to ever be in that situation to begin with? Even if you think it's more moral to kill a smaller amount to save a bigger amount, unless you're crazy, you're probably not gonna want to kill anyone in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm

I wonder if you reworded the question so it asked if you could save the entire human population by killing 10% of them.

True, you'll never be in a situation the question puts you in, but sometimes people's logic are just illogical.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

Male Number of posts : 2868
Cool Points : 7819
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 pm

do we get to pick the people we would be killing?
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10197
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 pm

The point of the question, though, isn't to give a realistic dilemma, it's meant to find out where our morals and limitations thereof lie when it comes to killing, and how we value life...
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7097
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 am

pintsogin wrote:
i would kill 10 ppl for the 4g iphone

I'd kill 20 people for a Klondike Bar
Back to top Go down
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Kam

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 am

I've had a think about it, and figured out why I don't like these sort of questions.

If completely ignores everything that I love about humanity.

Where's the self sacrifice, the courage, the screw you I can save 11 people? Even if you can't.
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7880
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 5:14 am

Pants wrote:
I can't kill anyone, no one life can be valued against another. Even if it saves, I couldn't do it, it's not my right to take a life.
Back to top Go down
ska_sean
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
ska_sean

Male Number of posts : 1792
Cool Points : 6757
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

im down with murder. kill a couple people to save a couple million more people..... WOW are we living WW2 over again?
Back to top Go down
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Kam

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 pm

ska_sean wrote:
im down with murder. kill a couple people to save a couple million more people..... WOW are we living WW2 over again?
I killed like 50 Nazi zombies yesterday, so I think so?

Mind I also had a creepy time of driving past a KKK meeting a month ago so Nazi zombies may not be much of an indicator.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kill one person, save ten other lives   Kill one person, save ten other lives Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kill one person, save ten other lives
Page 1 of 1