Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Americans: Do you know your history?

Go down 
+15
Shawn!
Chops4569
artistry_in_motion
Toadvine
ashley
ih8thecharts
raptorsaurus
Pants
nickno
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ana
cooljayhu
Daggar Slade
Mike
Tim
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

Male Number of posts : 1007
Cool Points : 5957
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:51 am

I had an okay history teacher.
We mainly talked about Mongol Horde, and played an old game from medieval times
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

Male Number of posts : 490
Cool Points : 5705
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:05 am

My old history teacher tricked me into eating a cows tongue once. The weird part was that I enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:07 am

blake wrote:
My old history teacher tricked me into eating a cows tongue once. The weird part was that I enjoyed it.
Do you still eat it?
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 am

Shawn! wrote:
blake wrote:
Do you still eat it?

Nah, it was good until I knew what it was, reminded me of tinned ham. I'm not even 100% sure if butchers have it on display around here, definitely haven't seen it on a menu. But they put that shit in burgers and sausages and whatnot so I guess it's silly to be super grossed out by it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 am

blake wrote:
Shawn! wrote:
blake wrote:
Do you still eat it?

Nah, it was good until I knew what it was, reminded me of tinned ham. I'm not even 100% sure if butchers have it on display around here, definitely haven't seen it on a menu. But they put that shit in burgers and sausages and whatnot so I guess it's silly to be super grossed out by it.
Maybe if ya ask for it.. haha
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 8014
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:13 pm

When I was like thirteen I spent the night at my friend's house and we had cow tongue and pig skin for breakfast. Her dad kept trying to freak me out about it and I was just like, whatever I've eaten weirder shit.
Back to top Go down
laurendelore
juicebox romeo
laurendelore

Female Number of posts : 1185
Cool Points : 6930
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:43 am

A ton of people around here eat cow tongue, they sell it in all the grocery stores. I've heard it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 am

laurendelore wrote:
A ton of people around here eat cow tongue, they sell it in all the grocery stores. I've heard it's pretty good.

It was pretty good, its just a taboo dish over here. It's like someone feeding you dog, but if it was fed to a dude who grew up in China it wouldn't be weird at all. (Not 100% sure that's correct or just a racist stereotype I just used.)
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Mexico.
Its a Mexican thing.
At least, the people I ate it with were Mexican.
But then I am not an expert in Chinese cuisine so you could be right about that.
Back to top Go down
Tim
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Tim

Male Number of posts : 4431
Cool Points : 10197
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Eating dogs was quite normal in China, but has recently been banned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Timsalabimbo
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I was talking about cow tongue not dog...but yeah.
My dad had this girlfriend who was from Vietnam, and when she was a kid she had a pet dog, but then her neighbors ate it.
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Quick question, may be considered silly/obvious, but what is the American equivalent to the UK's GCSEs and A- levels?
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 6:42 pm

?Que?
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7797
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm

i think it's like their advanced classes. like Advanced Placement (AP) here. some schools have IB also.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10209
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I think GCSE is just a regular high school certificate... And A-levels is more like AP/IB.
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

GCSE's are compulsory here, from ages 14-16, then i can choose to go on to do A- Levels for 2 years after or find a course at a college or work. I'm more ignorant than i should be about it all since i've already ticked boxes for shit to study for the next couple years.

We have a GCSE for every subject, and you can gain them through colleges if you already left school, does the highschool certificate work like that or is it like a general statement to say you graduated? As far as i know whether you went to school or not is irrelevant over here aslong as you have a certain amount of gcse's/a-levels to apply for the said course/job.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9236
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:06 pm

A-Levels FUCKING SUCK </333333333333333333333333333333333
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Beats being a plumbers or electricians bitch for 2 years. Or serving ignorant assholes in grocers. I'm determined to milk the system for as long as possible.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:14 pm

Yeah, me too, but my mum won't let me not try to find a job.

I'll book interviews and just not turn up to them.

I got a car today though, so I REALLY wanna be able to afford to use it, because I'll just drive halfway across the country because I can, with music blaring.

What options did you choose for further education next year, man?
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Physics (because i was the class dunce who kicked everyones ass in the mock exams), ICT, History, then my school made me choose a 4th option that i was free to drop if it didnt work out so I chose Religious Sudies. (Which should be very interesting as I'll be the only non-bible basher.) Its a real wide range of subjects because I'm not sure what sorta course i want to do after. Half my year wants to be doctors and solicitors.

What did you pick?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Awesome. I know how much the subjects vary with the exam boards you take them on, so I'll reserve that judgment for now Razz

Religious Studies is supposedly vastly different past when it's compulsory, and it supposedly takes a more philosophical approach than the ram-down-your-throat shit.

I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and economics. I was taking ICT in place of economics, but the stuff I liked on the ICT course wasn't until the second year, so yeah.

I'm considering packing it all in though. I do absolutely no work.

Just go into it with an open mind though, and you'll be fine as fine =D
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm

this show is awesome.
http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm

I think that looks both like something really cool and self-indulgent.
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah, I feared it would be, but it's only two episodes in (I think) and so far it really hasn't been self-indulgent.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Interesting. I am so fascinated by history, but I'm so glad I didn't take it in education. I like being able to read up on the things I enjoy, and actually study them myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Americans: Do you know your history?   Americans: Do you know your history? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Americans: Do you know your history?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2