Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%

Go down 
+15
Johnny99
emmsmem
raptorsaurus
Shawn!
phaiT
S_Carter
MissBountiful
Mark Narra
Listentocds41
JakobDoetman
Zedeff
Markie!T.S.R.
lex
Ross
brizanne__
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S_Carter
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
S_Carter

Male Number of posts : 74
Cool Points : 5866
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 11:19 am

Mark Narra wrote:
even taking that into consideration, when you take the whole "disco" ep into consideration, i find it hard to dispute that it's about anything besides a relationship. even if there are double entendres, the theme of those three songs seem pretty consistent.
Yes, I've been listening to the Disco EP a lot lately and I'm pretty sure that the entire thing is about his relationship with his ex-wife, what led up to their breakup and the feelings afterwards.

Edit: Especially shown in these lines:
"My heart is anywhere but here.
And how tired I was from the past couple weeks, from the past couple years, well it hit me all at once.
On a balcony overlooking nothing, with snow falling all around, I called just to say good-night.
And you hadn't done anything wrong, really, it's me not you.
I can't believe how naive I was to think things could ever be so simple. "
Back to top Go down
http://www.team-ntensity.com
phaiT
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
phaiT

Male Number of posts : 13
Cool Points : 5176
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

I LOVE THE DISCO EP SO MUCH, THIS SONG IS SO SICK!
Back to top Go down
Shawn!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Shawn!

Male Number of posts : 1007
Cool Points : 5936
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:20 am

Didn't at one point Tom didn't drink bottle waters
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8692
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 10:25 pm

And can you live with what you know about yourself,
When you're all alone, behind closed doors?
The things we never said, but we always knew were right there.
Back to top Go down
emmsmem
Untouchable
Untouchable
emmsmem

Female Number of posts : 457
Cool Points : 5995
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:12 am

Wow.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7588
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

I listened to this today and wanted to cry Sad
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

Male Number of posts : 2868
Cool Points : 7810
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Still my favorite song ever, now just with a little more clarity.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 7743
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 12:42 am

lex wrote:
I listened to this today and wanted to cry Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
Magpie
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Magpie

Cool Points : 4332
Registration date : 2012-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:22 pm

I think this song is about Kevin Mahone leaving the band. We didn't get the whole picture until Laura wrote the blog entry (which you can find on her blog, but I am not allowed to link it) about what went wrong between her and Kevin, but this song is written right after Kevin's departure. The "drinking bottled water and talking business" I think is about Laura and Kevin sitting down to plan the future of AM!. The middle part of the song is Laura blaming herself for being naïve and thinking she could understand everything and everyone, including Kevin. The band was just getting some success with Crime and then Kevin suddenly leaves. Laura really wanted to success with the music and that is what the final part is about; her really wanting to make it with this band, but being angry/desperate about the struggles he meets with the band nearly breaking up.

And from then on, Laura could only give 35% on the stage without her best friend.

Last edited by Magpie on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am

Magpie wrote:
I think this song is about Kevin Mahone leaving the band. We didn't get the whole picture until Laura wrote the blog entry (which you can find on her blog, but I am not allowed to link it) about what went wrong between him and Kevin, but this song is written right after Kevin's departure. The "drinking bottled water and talking business" I think is about Laura and Kevin sitting down to plan the future of AM!. The middle part of the song is Laura blaming herself for being naïve and thinking she could understand everything and everyone, including Kevin. The band was just getting some success with Crime and then Kevin suddenly leaves. Laura really wanted to success with the music and that is what the final part is about; her really wanting to make it with this band, but being angry/desperate about the struggles he meets with the band nearly breaking up.

And from then on, Laura could only give 35% on the stage without her best friend.

That is a very interesting analysis. I never thought of it that way. My opinion was that he was predicted the future about what the music industry might turn him into. But I like your thoughts better.

PS please don't get on my nuts about the him/her shit because seriously whats the difference?
PPS Not person I'm quoting neccessarily
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Magpie

Cool Points : 4332
Registration date : 2012-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm

cooljayhu wrote:

PS please don't get on my nuts about the him/her shit because seriously whats the difference?
PPS Not person I'm quoting neccessarily

Gah, I still struggle with that when I think about Laura in the past. I guess I haven't completely set it in to my brain that she is now a female. I have edited my post now.
Back to top Go down
Againstmike525
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Againstmike525

Male Number of posts : 3
Cool Points : 4075
Registration date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Ross wrote:
That actually makes a lot, lot more sense. I had wondered a little bit about the "bottled water" thing, and the rest of it clicks nicely into place. Cheers for that.

Zedeff wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand how one could read this song any other way.

That's fair enough, but considering several others (myself included) here thought it was about a relationship, it's obviously a touch ambiguous.

This was the song that made me fall in love with the band just pure emotion in song form. and i think that you nailed the meaning
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%   Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35% - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tonight We're Gonna Give it 35%
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2