Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14

Go down 
+11
telegraphrocks
Pants
saintjonah
Lurch
Breakout
nickno
Arthur X
transgender_Amber
cooljayhu
Aaron
mattharris
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mattharris
From Her Lips to God's Ears
mattharris

Male Number of posts : 175
Cool Points : 5925
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Empty
PostSubject: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 am

I'm surprised this wasn't already a topic, but anywho... If one already exist that I didn't see I apologize

The performance was awesome! They played Fuckmylife666. Inge totally rocked out. I can't wait to find a youtube video or one on cbs.com ...

What did you guys think?
Back to top Go down
mattharris
mattharris

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1TyN3y36WA
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9215
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:12 am

Just saw it on YT. It was awesome.
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 4:23 am

2 observations:

1) Surprised they showed the uncensored album cover

2) Song is better live than on the album.
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

Female Number of posts : 270
Cool Points : 4604
Registration date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 am

Strange That Letterman has a positive portrait of a Transsexual/Transgender Woman? Just a Year a go Letterman was making a Joke about A Transsexual Woman Obama Appointed

" David Letterman under fire for transgender joke
The Human Rights Campaign -- the  lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization -- did not find a David Letterman joke last night about the appointment of transgender Amanda Simpson to a senior position at the U.S. Department of Commerce funny.

The group sent a letter today to Letterman and CBS Corp. expressing disappointment and asking for a public apology.

In a skit during Letterman's opening monologue, the Late Show host announced Simpson's historic appointment and revealed that she is transgender, displaying a photograph of her.  The show's announcer, Alan Kalter, then feigned "trans panic," implying he had some prior relationship with Simpson but was not aware of her gender history, and ran yelling from the stage.

In the letter, the Human Rights group writes:  "You may not be aware that the punch line in your skit has been used as a defense in nearly every hate crime perpetrated against transgender people that has come to trial.  For example, the 'trans panic'defense was infamously used by Allen Ray Andrade, who was convicted in 2009 of beating 19-year-old Angie Zapata to death with a fire extinguisher after learning of her gender history."

Simpson, 48, who started her job yesterday  as senior technical advisor to the Department of Commerce, has said the fact she was "Mitch" before becoming Amanda is relevant if only to illustrate the need for greater equality."

See photos of: David Letterman
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/01/david-letterman-under-fire-for-transgender-joke/1#.UuomU2uYbL8

But now this is on

Now Letterman never gave out an apology for the joke on air. Also this show how two face Letterman really is. But I guess he will kiss ass to a celebrities when need to be. Laura is now the Media's new favorite Transsexual celebrity and Letterman can't miss out on this one; now can he. Such a two face person.

For hatful jokes like that I'll Never watch Letterman or CBS again!
Back to top Go down
Arthur X
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Arthur X

Number of posts : 16
Cool Points : 3783
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am

Amazing.

One of my favorite new songs
Back to top Go down
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

Male Number of posts : 1232
Cool Points : 6922
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 am

transgender_Amber wrote:
Strange That Letterman has a positive portrait of a Transsexual/Transgender Woman? Just a Year a go Letterman was making a Joke about A Transsexual Woman Obama Appointed

" David Letterman under fire for transgender joke
The Human Rights Campaign -- the  lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization -- did not find a David Letterman joke last night about the appointment of transgender Amanda Simpson to a senior position at the U.S. Department of Commerce funny.

The group sent a letter today to Letterman and CBS Corp. expressing disappointment and asking for a public apology.

In a skit during Letterman's opening monologue, the Late Show host announced Simpson's historic appointment and revealed that she is transgender, displaying a photograph of her.  The show's announcer, Alan Kalter, then feigned "trans panic," implying he had some prior relationship with Simpson but was not aware of her gender history, and ran yelling from the stage.

In the letter, the Human Rights group writes:  "You may not be aware that the punch line in your skit has been used as a defense in nearly every hate crime perpetrated against transgender people that has come to trial.  For example, the 'trans panic'defense was infamously used by Allen Ray Andrade, who was convicted in 2009 of beating 19-year-old Angie Zapata to death with a fire extinguisher after learning of her gender history."

Simpson, 48, who started her job yesterday  as senior technical advisor to the Department of Commerce, has said the fact she was "Mitch" before becoming Amanda is relevant if only to illustrate the need for greater equality."

See photos of: David Letterman
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/01/david-letterman-under-fire-for-transgender-joke/1#.UuomU2uYbL8

But now this is on

Now Letterman never gave out an apology for the joke on air. Also this show how two face Letterman really is. But I guess he will kiss ass to a celebrities when need to be. Laura is now the Media's new favorite Transsexual celebrity and Letterman can't miss out on this one; now can he. Such a two face person.

For hatful jokes like that I'll Never watch Letterman or CBS again!

I hope I'm not playing with fire here, but I think he's just playing the role of late night talkshow host. He even makes fun of himself for having affairs he shouldn't. Not trying to be the devil's advocate here, but I think he's a dolt who goes for the cheap pop. He may have been supportive of Laura last night, but he also seemed to be grabbing at air trying to connect the band to the audience. They're not from Gainesville anymore, Dave. That's what I kept thinking at least.
Back to top Go down
Breakout
Untouchable
Untouchable
Breakout

Number of posts : 446
Cool Points : 5317
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 am

So did it. However, in his defence, the internet and probably also wikipedia is full with "Against Me! from Gainesville". We know that's outdated, but we again are crazy fangirls and boys and inbetweens. Can't blame him.
Back to top Go down
http://epikureanlifestyle.tumblr.com/
Lurch
Lurch

Male Number of posts : 243
Cool Points : 6018
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Letterman is an asshat and always has been. I doubt he has anything to do with the musical acts that come on his show. That said, this performance was incredible in every sense of the word. Everyone in the band looked so stoked, especially Laura. I'm so happy for her and this performance was pretty groundbreaking.
Back to top Go down
Breakout
Untouchable
Untouchable
Breakout

Number of posts : 446
Cool Points : 5317
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 pm

In case you don't know, Inge also was on a CBS Late Show before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEz0mz05JE
Back to top Go down
http://epikureanlifestyle.tumblr.com/
Arthur X
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
Arthur X

Number of posts : 16
Cool Points : 3783
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 am

T(I)NC is awesome.

The Cross of My Calling is one of the best albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
saintjonah
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Number of posts : 10
Cool Points : 3962
Registration date : 2013-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 am

Breakout wrote:
So did it. However, in his defence, the internet and probably also wikipedia is full with "Against Me! from Gainesville". We know that's outdated, but we again are crazy fangirls and boys and inbetweens. Can't blame him.

To be fair, their contact info on their website is a PO box in Gainesville. Total Treble is based in Gainesville. I don't think he was completely off-base. Do any of the members live in the same city/state anymore? What determines where a band is "from"?

Anyway, this is supposed to be about AM! playing a new song on TV not about what we think of Dave Letterman as a human being or his personal views on what the fuck ever. Congrats to the band on a great performance.
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm

saintjonah wrote:
Breakout wrote:

To be fair, their contact info on their website is a PO box in Gainesville. Total Treble is based in Gainesville. I don't think he was completely off-base. Do any of the members live in the same city/state anymore? What determines where a band is "from"?

Anyway, this is supposed to be about AM! playing a new song on TV not about what we think of Dave Letterman as a human being or his personal views on what the fuck ever. Congrats to the band on a great performance.

As long as Laura is still in Against Me!, they'll always be a "Gainesville band". That's where they started from and they are closely associated with that city.
Back to top Go down
mattharris
mattharris

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 am

[quote="saintjonah"]
Breakout wrote:

Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 7743
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:37 pm

The band traditionally chooses their introduction. My brother works for 311 and has for 10 years. He says on late night they still prefer to be known as "From Omaha" despite the fact that they have been in LA since '91. I wouldn't look too much into that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
telegraphrocks
telegraphrocks

Male Number of posts : 177
Cool Points : 5934
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Same as Alkaline Trio.

"We're Alkaline Trio from Chicago."

Skiba- lived in SF/LA since the late 90's.
Dan- St. Augustine or Ft. Lauderdale... somewhere in Florida for the last 8 years or so.
Derek- from Detroit, moved to Indianapolis when he joined Trio, has only lived in Chicago for about a year now.

Oh, shit, this would be a sick line-up for a "Now residing in Chicago supergroup":
Laura Jane Grace- vocals, guitar
Brendan Kelly- vocals, bass
Derek Grant- drums
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pjsdisco
DavyGrolton
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
DavyGrolton

Male Number of posts : 1424
Cool Points : 7167
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 1:18 pm

A joke is a joke. Every single one of us here gets a joke made at their expense every once in a while
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theriotinside
nickno
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
nickno

Male Number of posts : 1232
Cool Points : 6922
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 2:13 pm

I was just digging for gold trying to find something so I could semi-defend Letterman from transgenderAmber lol. Didn't mean to whip up a Gainesville gauntlet
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm

nickno wrote:
I was just digging for gold trying to find something so I could semi-defend Letterman from transgenderAmber lol. Didn't mean to whip up a Gainesville gauntlet

Ok I take this one on? Letterman is a real Cissexist in the senses that he believes Cissexuals are better that transsexuals. Why the need to defend a hateful person? Must be easy to defend Letterman? This joke doesn't effect you in any way, right?

Also There is nothing wrong with anyone  talking about Against Me not being a Florida band any more. Knowing that the bands already did an article on this and posted this on its web site. I think everyone here should check out Against Me website more. You will learn a lot about the band.

“I know Florida’s fucked up… but Florida’s one of those places where, if you live there long enough, it becomes a part of you.”

Read the exclusive Consequence of Sound feature here: http://ow.ly/szZ5s .
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/01/cover-story-against-me/

So please, don't try to control the topic. People here have a right to discusses the band not being from Florida any more.

Last edited by transgender_Amber on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 am

"Cissexism"  

"Cissexism" is the belief and treatment of transgender and/or transsexual people as inferior to cissexual (non-trans) people.
http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/08/word-of-gay-cissexism.html

Definition - What does Cissexism mean?

Cissexism is the belief that transgender and/or transsexual people are inferior to cisgender people, or those who identify with the gender that was assigned to them at birth. Because the majority of the population is believed to be cisgender, trans people are a minority who may suffer discrimination and ill treatment as a result of their sexual identity.

Kinkly explains Cissexism
Cissexism may be used as a synonym for transphobia, but it differs a bit. While transphobia refers to discomfort, disgust, fear or anger directed at people who do not fit into society's gender expectations, cissexism is based on the assumption that there are only two genders (male and female), and that these genders are determined solely by biological sex. Cissexism, therefore, often involves positioning cisgender as better or more "real" than trans identities.
http://www.kinkly.com/definition/1227/cissexism

This definition does fit Lettermen and the Cruel and sick joke he made about Amanda Simpson a Year a go to the day that Against Me was on the show,

David Letterman under fire for transgender joke

Just to start this off I welcome any heat I get from this post. And I know some of you just can't understand what its like to be treated lesser because your gender identity  is different than that of the Cissexual Cisgender world. For someone like Myself and Laura it can be life or death. That's why people like Letterman need to be called on there hate against us.

Also I post this not to be inconvenient to anyone but because this is important to me. I can't just sit back and let people like Letterman get away with jokes that attack people for being Transsexual/Transgendered!

Last edited by transgender_Amber on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Miles
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Male Number of posts : 49
Cool Points : 5113
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 am

Who gives a shit where David Letterman said they're from?
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:49 am

transgender_Amber wrote:
"Cissexism"  

"Cissexism" is the belief and treatment of transgender and/or transsexual people as inferior to cissexual (non-trans) people.
http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/08/word-of-gay-cissexism.html

Definition - What does Cissexism mean?

Cissexism is the belief that transgender and/or transsexual people are inferior to cisgender people, or those who identify with the gender that was assigned to them at birth. Because the majority of the population is believed to be cisgender, trans people are a minority who may suffer discrimination and ill treatment as a result of their sexual identity.

Kinkly explains Cissexism
Cissexism may be used as a synonym for transphobia, but it differs a bit. While transphobia refers to discomfort, disgust, fear or anger directed at people who do not fit into society's gender expectations, cissexism is based on the assumption that there are only two genders (male and female), and that these genders are determined solely by biological sex. Cissexism, therefore, often involves positioning cisgender as better or more "real" than trans identities.
http://www.kinkly.com/definition/1227/cissexism

This definition does fit Lettermen and the Cruel and sick joke he made about Amanda Simpson a Year a go to the day that Against Me was on the show,

David Letterman under fire for transgender joke

Just to start this off I welcome any heat I get from this post. And I know some of you just can't understand what its like to be treated lesser because your gender identity  is different than that of the Cissexual Cisgender world. For someone like Myself and Laura it can be life or death. That's why people like Letterman need to be called on there hate against us.

Also I post this not to be inconvenient to anyone but because this is important to me. I can't just sit back and let people like Letterman get away with jokes that attack people for being Transsexual/Transgendered!

You are easily the most annoying fucking troll I've ever encountered. You are making me not want to come back to this forum.
Back to top Go down
transgender_Amber
Untouchable
Untouchable
transgender_Amber

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:01 am

cooljayhu wrote:

You are easily the most annoying fucking troll I've ever encountered.

I know its hard for you to understand someone that just doesn't have it as easy as you do when it comes to gender and its easy for you to insult me than trying to understand why Letterman's joke would be offensive to a person that is transgendered. But like I said I would get heat for my post.

Please insult me some more. I'm not a real person like you. I'm not equal to you and I don't have the same feelings as you do. And if it makes you feel betting I can give you my home address and you can come and murder me because I inconvenient you. I'm Shure many people here will be happy with you murdering me just because I tried to open up with my feelings and thoughts on why I have a problem with Letterman and why I think he is hateful.

So Let me know if it make you feel better to Murder me and we can work on that. The Gods know would not be the first transsexual/transgender Person to be murdered!
Back to top Go down
Jersey89
Untouchable
Untouchable
Jersey89

Female Number of posts : 319
Cool Points : 4857
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:03 am

cooljayhu wrote:
You are making me not want to come back to this forum.

My feeling exactly

Back to top Go down
DavyGrolton
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
DavyGrolton

Male Number of posts : 1424
Cool Points : 7167
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 am

Just to be fair the second I feel comfortable making fun of you is the second I consider you my equal. There are things in my life I don't make fun of. Everything else is fair game. I don't make fun of children or the handicap but joking around and a comedian making a joke is literally the highest form of acceptance in this world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theriotinside
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14   Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Against me! on The Late Show with David Letterman 1-29-14
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next