Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

occupy (enter city name here)

Go down 
+9
Raccoon
cooljayhu
ashley
ThusSpokeYourFace
Johnny99
Pants
raptorsaurus
StoolPigeon
hlflp360
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hlflp360
Untouchable
Untouchable
hlflp360

Male Number of posts : 464
Cool Points : 5864
Registration date : 2009-09-26

occupy (enter city name here) Empty
PostSubject: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Any thoughts on any of this? There's one that started tonight one city over from me called occupy norfolk. I went to just check it out and get a feel for what everyone is protesting about and what not. I feel like this could go somewhere.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10188
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I think I'm going to the one in Victoria BC. Not too sure, yet, though.
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8692
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm am healthier than whole, but not as much as skim. I am the 2%

sorry, I'll let this be a serious discussion now.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10188
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Here's a good article about what the Wall Street protesters are so angry about.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 7743
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 am

I think it's ridiculous in a couple ways. I'm sorry, I'm all about protests, but it's been over a month. Mad at banks? STOP BANKING AT WELLS FARGO. Mad at corporate greed? GO SHOP LOCALLY! Mad at gas prices? RIDE A FUCKING BIKE! And if riding a bike is too big of a hassle, or you still need your banks to survive, then obviously you don't care enough anyway.

I realize i'm taking the extreme here, but I hope you see my point. I hate the banks, I hate the greed, I think they need to be held accountable, we need a systems overhaul here. I'm all about moving forward. But you need to make a statement. There are better ways to do this then just sitting outside Wall-Street being homeless.

I'm sorry, I don't want to peeve anyone off here, I realize most of us are young and want a better future, so do I....I just think these "protests" are ridiculous. We can do better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

Male Number of posts : 2868
Cool Points : 7810
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 am

Its just a matter of the system being shitty, and these people are voicing their grievances with it. You can stop using a bank and a car, but you will still need money and the government will still be taking almost half of your paycheck. There is still rampant unemployment and thousands of people who cant afford health care. It's not exactly easy to mass together thousands of people and make your collective voices heard but at least these people are trying. People are just taking aim at Wall Street because of the ridiculous influence that money has in politics. As a private citizen there is not a whole lot you can do beyond writing letters every day. At least these people are getting noticed. Our country is 14 trillion dollars in debt. Banks fuck up their business but get bail outs that we pay for. Who bails people out when they fuck up? We are wasting money every day in 2 wars and nothing is changing, all you see in congress are republicans yelling at democrats and democrats yelling back and nothing getting done.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I know WHY they are doing what they are doing. I am ALL for protests and voicing your opinion to our shitty system, which needs an overhaul. But there comes a point when in America, everyone stops listening. It's been over a month. Now, to the average person, it just looks like a ton of homeless people out there. I am against the greed as much as anyone. There is a different between a protest and this crap I think. In recent years, since about 2006, our congress has done SHIT. They haven't gotten anything done. We always talked about that in our Poli Sci classes. They have always disagreed, but at least always got something done. In recent years, that hasn't been the case. I am against all this corporate greed, but our whole system needs an overhaul if anything productive for society is going to get done. Our politics are fucked so bad.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:16 pm

What do you suggest people do to air their frustrations then? What other way is there for the average American to really let their government know they are not happy?
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7993
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Pants wrote:
I know WHY they are doing what they are doing. I am ALL for protests and voicing your opinion to our shitty system, which needs an overhaul. But there comes a point when in America, everyone stops listening. It's been over a month. Now, to the average person, it just looks like a ton of homeless people out there. I am against the greed as much as anyone. There is a different between a protest and this crap I think. In recent years, since about 2006, our congress has done SHIT. They haven't gotten anything done. We always talked about that in our Poli Sci classes. They have always disagreed, but at least always got something done. In recent years, that hasn't been the case. I am against all this corporate greed, but our whole system needs an overhaul if anything productive for society is going to get done. Our politics are fucked so bad.

Well maybe you ought to consider why nothing is getting done.
Special interests (insurance companies and corporations) are dominating political discourse in this country and preventing anything from passing Congress that will actually improve the lot of those of us who aren't blessed with a high socioeconomic position. Why did the healthcare bill fail so miserably? I mean I know it got passed but it wasn't what everyone wanted for sure, and that's because corporate interests did their damnedest to doop the American people into thinking that a public option was communism and it was in our best interest to just let them all keep taking from us and refusing treatment.
I'm not really against or in favor of the occupy Wall Street movement because I don't know enough about it, but I am glad to know that at least some people in this country have figured out who it is that's really fucking us, rather than listening to these awful astroturf organizations and going out to tea party rallies.

Also, what does it having been a month have to do with anything? Progress is slow and it takes time. And if you think our system needs an overhaul I can't imagine why you would think that protesting it was such a bad idea. I mean, I know you say you're all about protests but it sounds like by protests you mean those day long marches that don't ever get coverage from the media (unless they're tea party rallies) and don't change anything. We're not going to overhaul the system by going about our daily lives and voting every election. Especially not when in order to run for office you have to be one of those people at the top or at least take contributions from them.
Shopping locally and riding a bike are not actions that are going to fix unemployment or end corporate greed. Laws need to change and the mentality and gullibility of the American people need to change. It's easy for someone to say things like that if they have the ability to do those things and they're comfortable, but it's just not as simple as that.

Like I said, I don't know enough about the protests or demands of the protesters to really state whether or not I agree with them 100 or even 70%, but if you think we can do better , what would you have us do? Vote Green Party? Everyone can turn in their cars for bikes and ride to work that way? The unemployed can start communes and live off of the land? I mean, there aren't a lot of options for most people anymore, especially people who've been alienated from the job market.
Back to top Go down
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Pants

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't think protesting it is such a bad idea. I think there are better things to do than sit outside for a year. I think, that every single one of these people should pull all their money out of the banks. That sends a big ass message to banks. I have no doubt some of them have, but do all of them? That's my kind of protest. I think these people are on the right track, I just think this protest is becoming ridiculous. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 9:26 pm

watch Keith Olbermann take an 8 minute shit on Mayor Bloomberg. (not literally. that would be gross.)
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7776
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:46 pm

haha. great stuff.

live stream from New York
http://www.ustream.tv/TheOther99
Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:35 am

My problem with the Occupy Movement (in my city not globally per se) is that they really have no goal. Most of them are protesting just to protest. They think it's cool to sit around a fire all day, make smores, smoke weed, and sing some sweet jams with a guy who doesn't quite know how to play an acoustic guitar. They're new-age hippies except their not going to accomplish anything close to what hippies in the 60s/70s did (not that hippies really accomplished anything anyway).

They set up camps in public parks with clearly set hours on land they do not own, violating city bylaws. Then they complain and resist arrest when the police try to arrest them for doing illegal activities (although I am far from supporting the police, they did some despicable things in New York and elsewhere but in Canada we have yet to see anything like that).

I get it, coporate greed is bad and the wealth of the world should be distributed evenly. But that's never going to happen unless we banish commerce, class systems and governments (ie Anarchism). Say what you want about Anarchists but at least they have a definable goal in mind.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:31 am

cooljayhu wrote:
(not that hippies really accomplished anything anyway).

they did sorta contribute to ending the Vietnam war..
Back to top Go down
Raccoon
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Raccoon

Male Number of posts : 1538
Cool Points : 6674
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Cooljayhu, 100% agree with everything.

If anything, I'm starting to get annoyed by the Occupy movement.
Back to top Go down
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

Male Number of posts : 3158
Cool Points : 8115
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Coolj put it pretty well. I cant really get into the Occupy moments because its just a bunch of new hippies taking up space. Then again i think this more effective then what usually happens in Europe with rioting, those guys love to riot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
JessBowles
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
JessBowles

Female Number of posts : 1031
Cool Points : 6281
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Occupy Ft. Myers has their own lawyer...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SingYouALullaby
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

Male Number of posts : 3158
Cool Points : 8115
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 5:22 pm

^^True anarchy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:13 pm

In the words of Animal House!
"In this case I think we have to go all out. I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. And we're just the guys to do it! Lets do it!"

Back to top Go down
cooljayhu
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
cooljayhu

Male Number of posts : 1492
Cool Points : 7088
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Johnny99 wrote:
cooljayhu wrote:
(not that hippies really accomplished anything anyway).

they did sorta contribute to ending the Vietnam war..

Not really, that war dragged on for several years longer than hippies wanted to.
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm

I wouldn't call the people occupying a 'bunch of hippies.' I don't necessarily agree with them but there's a pretty diverse group of people there so its sort of inaccurate to lump them all into the same category.
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 pm

cooljayhu wrote:

I get it, coporate greed is bad and the wealth of the world should be distributed evenly. But that's never going to happen unless we banish commerce, class systems and governments (ie Anarchism). Say what you want about Anarchists but at least they have a definable goal in mind.

Improvements can certainly be made to the system here in the United States without 'banishing commerce, class systems and governments.' Simple campaign finance laws, regulations on the financial system and real healthcare reform and job building programs would be a significant improvement.

Though you're right, I don't think that the occupy movement has a clear objective. They do seem to be sort of in agreement about a few things though, such as getting rid of corporate personhood and ending wars and stuff like that. Still even if they did have a clear message (not that most protest movements do, with the exception of maybe the civil rights movement) they wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone who has any influence. Still, I feel like they're a big improvement over the tea party and maybe the next big protest movement will actually get something done.
Probably not though...I think things in the US will get a lot worse before they get better.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 4:30 pm

In NYC the police and the mayor are breaking laws. Shutting down press. shutting down free speech. shutting down assembly. and now monitoring religious houses of worship that are giving aid and shelter to protestors.
The fact that people are OK with all of this is fucking sickening. Can we stop calling it the land of the free yet?

Why should we follow the laws if they dont?
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Try to change things, try to run for office without BANK. Good fuckin luck.

When the most wealthy 400 families in the country have more than the bottom 150 Million combined you have to realize there is something wrong.
occupy (enter city name here) Raylewis2
Aint that a sight?
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Johnny99

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 4:52 pm

AMERICA!

These police are fucking disgusting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: occupy (enter city name here)   occupy (enter city name here) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

occupy (enter city name here)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Discussions-
Jump to: