Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DADT Repeal

Go down 
+3
ashley
Aaron
ThusSpokeYourFace
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7993
Registration date : 2009-04-25

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

So I was looking at the news and I saw this headline that was all "court order suspends don't ask don't tell"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11528661

And I was like, sweet.
Then I read this other headline that was like, "Administration asks judge to delay ruling"
And I was like WHAT THE FUCK OBAMA.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11548113

I mean, did he not say he was going to repeal DADT and pretend to be an advocate for the gay community?
And now he's like, JK eff you homos!

Am I right?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Aaron

Male Number of posts : 3490
Cool Points : 9215
Registration date : 2009-11-12

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Somebody explain what is happening.

I don't really hear about it much over here.

So... basically there's like an unspoken rule that prohibits people from talking about their sexuality?
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 3:41 pm

It's not really unspoken its a Clinton policy that is just really fucking stupid basically. Don't Ask Don't Tell basically means if you're gay and in the military you better not let anyone find out or they'll kick you out, but the fact is that if people in the military are suspected of being gay they can be investigated and kicked out no matter how discreet they are about it.
It's pretty fucked and a lot of high ranking officers and stuff have lost their jobs because of it.
The thing that really gets me is that Obama has presented himself as pro-gay rights but he won't say that he's for gay marriage and now that this court order has happened his administration is actually actively trying to prevent DADT from getting repealed.
So basically its like WTF man.
Back to top Go down
ashley
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ashley

Female Number of posts : 2267
Cool Points : 7776
Registration date : 2008-04-16

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:27 pm

i don't see how you're surprised. at all.
Back to top Go down
blake
Untouchable
Untouchable
blake

Male Number of posts : 490
Cool Points : 5684
Registration date : 2010-03-25

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't know much about American politics but it seems Obama is just trying to please everyone by doing everything half assed.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7483
Registration date : 2008-07-17

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 pm

I'm usually one to defend Obama, but I really can't get behind him on gay rights. He needs to pick whether or not he wants to stand up for basic human rights or not.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10188
Registration date : 2008-07-20

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Quote :
Although the Obama administration favours scrapping the policy, it would prefer it be done in Congress rather than through the court system.

This is pretty stupid. I mean, sure, it's not so democratic to simply throw out the laws in the courts, but how democratic is it to ignore a person's rights?
Back to top Go down
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am

ashley wrote:
i don't see how you're surprised. at all.

Well he was pretty outspoken about being for gay rights.
I mean, I wasn't surprised by his epic fail at health care, I wasn't surprised that he escalated Afghanistan, I'm not surprised that he's been sucking off the right wing, and I'm not even surprised that he didn't take an active role in promoting gay rights but now he's actively trying to stop them from advancing. Like I don't even see a political motive behind this, it's just pure dickheadedness.

StoolPigeon wrote:
Quote :
Although the Obama administration favours scrapping the policy, it would prefer it be done in Congress rather than through the court system.

This is pretty stupid. I mean, sure, it's not so democratic to simply throw out the laws in the courts, but how democratic is it to ignore a person's rights?

Yeah there are a lot of laws that have been changed through the courts that were pretty important. Brown v Board of Education being one pretty significant example.
Back to top Go down
Chops4569
Untouchable
Untouchable
Chops4569

Male Number of posts : 493
Cool Points : 5825
Registration date : 2009-12-15

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am

Maybe he feels that the homophobic masses will be more comfortable with "them god damn queers takin' over their millitary" if their elected representatives are the ones doing the repealing.

Of course, by doing so he is putting way to much confidence in Congress, who I'm sure will find a way to fuck this up.

But who knows? It's pretty difficult to get into the mind of a politician.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Lizzardking69
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Congress pretty recently tried to get a bill through that would suspend DADT and I'm not totally clear on the details but I think it didn't even make it to debate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DADT Repeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: DADT Repeal   DADT Repeal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DADT Repeal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Discussions-
Jump to: