Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Perspectives on different forms of government

Go down 
+2
ThusSpokeYourFace
Meximan
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
ThusSpokeYourFace

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 7993
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 am

Kam wrote:

I'm with you, on the whole liberal and conservative policies and using big and small government.

But it seems now adays, if you try to say yeah I want a smaller governent, and then say yes I also believe in Social Welfare programs you get both sides at you. And the biggest problem with social welfare programs is lies started way back when, like the Cadillac queen.

Is it so wrong to want a government that stays out of my business yet can manage a safety net in case life happens?

I agree with that. Especially the cadillac queen thing.

Kam wrote:

I'd disagree with being minimal in foreign affairs. We need to not tell people what to do, I hate that about our country, how is our way the right way? Where do we get the right to say this?

We're too big to ignore the issues in the world, and the world is honestly too damn dangerous. My real standing is that, we have an obligation to help out people who are worse off then us.

And if that means starting a war, I'd be with that.

I don't think we should just totally stay out of everything, Rwanda style, and just let atrocities and tragedies occur right under our noses. But I don't think we have the right, nor is it pragmatic, to go into another country and topple their government and rebuild our own a la Iraq. I don't think those countries really consider our 'help' to be very helpful. I mean, I guess in Iran they're divided over their view on the US's role but I've heard people say on the news that they prefer what they have now (a dictatorship) to a democracy imported by the US.
It almost always results in backlash or instability in the region where it occurs when we enforce our ideas, and I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that whenever the US intervenes with another country it has more to do with commercial rather than humanitarian concerns.
Back to top Go down
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Kam

Female Number of posts : 513
Cool Points : 5856
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am

ThusSpokeYourFace wrote:
Kam wrote:

I'm with you, on the whole liberal and conservative policies and using big and small government.

But it seems now adays, if you try to say yeah I want a smaller governent, and then say yes I also believe in Social Welfare programs you get both sides at you. And the biggest problem with social welfare programs is lies started way back when, like the Cadillac queen.

Is it so wrong to want a government that stays out of my business yet can manage a safety net in case life happens?

I agree with that. Especially the cadillac queen thing.

Kam wrote:

I'd disagree with being minimal in foreign affairs. We need to not tell people what to do, I hate that about our country, how is our way the right way? Where do we get the right to say this?

We're too big to ignore the issues in the world, and the world is honestly too damn dangerous. My real standing is that, we have an obligation to help out people who are worse off then us.

And if that means starting a war, I'd be with that.

I don't think we should just totally stay out of everything, Rwanda style, and just let atrocities and tragedies occur right under our noses. But I don't think we have the right, nor is it pragmatic, to go into another country and topple their government and rebuild our own a la Iraq. I don't think those countries really consider our 'help' to be very helpful. I mean, I guess in Iran they're divided over their view on the US's role but I've heard people say on the news that they prefer what they have now (a dictatorship) to a democracy imported by the US.
It almost always results in backlash or instability in the region where it occurs when we enforce our ideas, and I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that whenever the US intervenes with another country it has more to do with commercial rather than humanitarian concerns.

The cadillac queen business pisses me off, because it's still this huge misconception, and while yes it has lead to us cutting down ways the system can be cheated (and oh can it be cheated still) in Texas especially, it makes it ten times harder to get the help you need. And these are programs directed toward children!

A huge problem with Iran, is that an American style dictatorship can't work. There are three major groups, and one's a small group that the other two groups can't stand. What's the use of a democracy if you can just vote in hate?

But, I understand what you're saying. It's a hard area to be, because Iran has some pretty bad human rights things going on (especially toward women) so as I don't like pushing something that probably isn't going to work the way it's supposed to because we think it's the best thing eva, but at the same time I want women to stop being stoned because someone says they've had an affair.

I mean, for example, World War 2. We stay out until we've been hit, but with our resources how many lives could we have helped save?

I'm conflicted over it.
Back to top Go down
Meximan
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Meximan

Male Number of posts : 83
Cool Points : 5128
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 2:24 pm

My internet isn't working very well today Sad but i can see what your saying about us funding Israel and the Gaza strip, and really it is horrible the atrocities that occur on both sides between Palestine and Israel, but its war and war itself is an atrosity. And it seems to me that the U.S. over the years has made itself the self proclaimed democracy police of the world. I think that we as a country do many good things to help humanity and many bad things that hinder progress. Pushing democracy on the world doesn't seem to work quite so well, out of the few countries that have tried using a system like ours, all have failed, somehow our country manages to keep it together. But i dunno i do have lots of mixed views on many things the goverment does.

And i must say i have no idea what the cadillac queen is?
Back to top Go down
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Kam

Female Number of posts : 513
Cool Points : 5856
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Meximan wrote:
My internet isn't working very well today Sad but i can see what your saying about us funding Israel and the Gaza strip, and really it is horrible the atrocities that occur on both sides between Palestine and Israel, but its war and war itself is an atrosity. And it seems to me that the U.S. over the years has made itself the self proclaimed democracy police of the world. I think that we as a country do many good things to help humanity and many bad things that hinder progress. Pushing democracy on the world doesn't seem to work quite so well, out of the few countries that have tried using a system like ours, all have failed, somehow our country manages to keep it together. But i dunno i do have lots of mixed views on many things the goverment does.

And i must say i have no idea what the cadillac queen is?

Reagan coined the phrase, pretty much about a woman who was abusing the welfare system. So pretty much now, anyone who lives a good life on welfare.

You can wiki it, I did just to make sure it was Reagan who started it.
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7483
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm

By staying out of other countries' affairs, I meant that I don't think we should impose our ideas of democracy onto anyone, because it usually backfires on us. Just look at the Iranian Revolution. You had the US and UK trying to keep the Shah in power, who no one really wanted in the first place, and eventually you have the people rise up and instill a strict theocracy. There's one thing to have a religious government, but look at Iran now. We perceive them as this huge threat, yet we're part of the reason their government is in the position it's in today. When you have outside forces trying to force something onto you, you're gonna go in the opposite extreme.

Also, I think my political philosophy can be accurate describe by the following phrase: Fuck Ronald Reagan.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Meximan
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
Meximan

Male Number of posts : 83
Cool Points : 5128
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 am

Ronald Wilson Reagan was the devil each of his names has 6 letter 666, lol allusion to the boondocks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perspectives on different forms of government   Perspectives on different forms of government - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Perspectives on different forms of government
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2