Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vegans And Some Issues

Go down 
+6
hastekilledcreativity
alk3girl666
StoolPigeon
abstract illusion
lex
Joaquin_Honest
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joaquin_Honest
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Joaquin_Honest

Male Number of posts : 740
Cool Points : 6138
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Vegans And Some Issues Empty
PostSubject: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:21 am

Is it vegan to support stem cell research?

Is it vegan to support abortion?

Is it vegan to have pets?

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jadennny

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:24 am

I think that everyone sees things on different levels. There are definitely people out there that take things to extremes [PETA, a lot of the time] and don't believe in having animals as pets, but I wouldn't say it's a majority of vegans that think that way at all.
Back to top Go down
Joaquin_Honest
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Joaquin_Honest

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:30 am

What about stem cell research? There has been research with the regression of cell done on mice.

Abortion... well it's the same question of "is it a live, valid human life?"
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

Female Number of posts : 7833
Cool Points : 7597
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:31 am

Veganism is a personal decision to me. I know people who are vegan for health reasons, people who do it for animal rights reasons, etc. Flu shots are not vegan, but I know people with autoimmune diseases that really need to get this shot. So sometimes decisions people have to make for their own health may not be vegan, but to me it's doing what's best for yourself and respecting the things around you. The reason I have pets is so give them a better life, the mice and rats I would buy are the ones that are usually just fed to snakes, adopting our dogs from shelters, etc. The main issue of animal rights that vegans have is the exploitation of animals, and I don't think the way I treat my pets and care for them is exploiting them in any way.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 am

And I support abortion, it's a clump of cells to me. I don't think it can feel pain. But animal testing is just wrong to me, test chemicals and cosmetics on them because they only have one tear duct and can't wash it away. I'm sorry but if someone wants their soap, or make up or whatever that bad then let's stick that shit in their eye.
Back to top Go down
abstract illusion
Untouchable
Untouchable
abstract illusion

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 5861
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 am

lex wrote:
And I support abortion, it's a clump of cells to me. I don't think it can feel pain. But animal testing is just wrong to me, test chemicals and cosmetics on them because they only have one tear duct and can't wash it away. I'm sorry but if someone wants their soap, or make up or whatever that bad then let's stick that shit in their eye.

what about cancer research and stuff like that?

saving human lifes by playing with animal lifes.. is that good?
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10197
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:53 am

lex wrote:

Do you eat eggs?
Back to top Go down
alk3girl666
From Her Lips to God's Ears
alk3girl666

Female Number of posts : 213
Cool Points : 5869
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:13 am

Joaquin_Honest wrote:
Is it vegan to support stem cell research?

Is it vegan to support abortion?

Is it vegan to have pets?

scratch
ive had mixed feelings about all these issues. i used to strongly oppose both stem cell and abortion because i thought "why bring life and then destroy it?" but with stem cell, so many lives could be saved and so many people could walk again.
i think abortion is both a woman's right issue AND a "baby's right" issues. i would never want some man in the government telling me what i cant do with my body, and i think if someone is mentally able to deal with having an abortion then who has the right to stop them. This is only for early abortions of course.
and i have pets. im not completely vegan, but i have many many pets and i cant imagine life without them. i do know that getting them from petsmart or petco is supporting the animal breeding industry, but i feel like some dumb kid is gonna buy them and end up squishing them. i dont know, i worked with a dog and cat rescue at petsmarts and petcos and i never witnessed any cruelty at the particular ones i was at, but im sure it has happened somewhere. i hate that people make huge profits off over breeding animals, but the machine is never going to be stopped. i steal fish from petsmart whenever i can, but thats not too often Razz
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/_XriotgirlX_
abstract illusion
Untouchable
Untouchable
abstract illusion

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 5861
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 am

i didn't know red bull was vegan until i read tom's blog and looked it up.

random information, yeah.. so what?!
Back to top Go down
hastekilledcreativity
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
hastekilledcreativity

Female Number of posts : 1335
Cool Points : 6020
Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 am

First of all, I don't think any of these things have to do with being vegan unless you happen to be vegan as the result of being completely and totally pro-life for everything.
I support stem cell research and abortion, and I own a cat but sometimes I do feel really strange about it. We got her because if we didn't pick her out from the shelter they would have put her to sleep since she had been returned two times already. She has no front claws, so it's not like she could survive in the wild anymore. If the animal is given everything it needs and treated well, I don't see the problem.
Back to top Go down
alk3girl666
alk3girl666

Female Number of posts : 213
Cool Points : 5869
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 pm

hastekilledcreativity wrote:
and I own a cat but sometimes I do feel really strange about it. We got her because if we didn't pick her out from the shelter they would have put her to sleep since she had been returned two times already. She has no front claws, so it's not like she could survive in the wild anymore. If the animal is given everything it needs and treated well, I don't see the problem.
thats what i think. if i were to set my geckos, frogs, hermit crabs (yes, i have crabs) dog, ,or fish free, they would surely die.

Last edited by alk3girl666 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/_XriotgirlX_
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
pintsogin

Male Number of posts : 3158
Cool Points : 8124
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 pm

i don't know about the first two but the third i think its fine to have a pet as long as you treat them well. I think as a vegan it would be more proper to pick one off the street and take care of it as opposed to going to a breeder or something.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm

AnnaIsAFuckingStoolPigeon wrote:
lex wrote:

Do you eat eggs?

No. The reason I don't eat eggs isn't because some of them are embryos, it's because of the way that chickens are treated in the process of getting their eggs. So it's kind of two separate issues.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:43 pm

pintsogin wrote:
i don't know about the first two but the third i think its fine to have a pet as long as you treat them well. I think as a vegan it would be more proper to pick one off the street and take care of it as opposed to going to a breeder or something.

Yeah, I also think that even if you're NOT vegan it's more proper to get an animal from anywhere but a breeder. I'm not vegan, but there have been times when I've felt a sense of inferiority from super elite vegans, as if I don't care about animals as much as they do. It makes me insecure, like maybe somewhere deep down inside that's true? I'd like to think that I care about animals just as much as the next person, if not more. All of my animals I've had (and I've had a lot) have come from the shelter, and I found my pet rabbit on the street and took her in. I donate as much money as I can to the Best Friends Animal Society every month and I've volunteered at shelters. My grandfather was a veterinarian, and I've always been taught that taking care of animals is a moral obligation as a human being. I may eat meat sometimes, but I feel like I do a lot more for animals than most people. I think it's become hard for me to see meat as an animal anymore, because eating meat is something I've been so heavily raised with my entire life. I know that's probably not a good thing, but I'm tired of feeling like I'm being judged for it.
Back to top Go down
Joaquin_Honest
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Joaquin_Honest

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:51 pm

First of all, I don't think any of these things have to do with being vegan unless you happen to be vegan as the result of being completely and totally pro-life for everything.
I support stem cell research and abortion, and I own a cat but sometimes I do feel really strange about it. We got her because if we didn't pick her out from the shelter they would have put her to sleep since she had been returned two times already. She has no front claws, so it's not like she could survive in the wild anymore. If the animal is given everything it needs and treated well, I don't see the problem.

The alternatives to embryonic stem cell research was first tested out on animals. That would be contradictory to vegan beliefs would it not?

Abortion is the general questioning of taking a (pseudo-)life. So that's a question on if vegans are against the taking of life for food, would they also be against the taking of life as far as abortions go (with, of course, the exceptions of when one or both lives are in peril upon the birth.)
Back to top Go down
ClockworkRobot
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
ClockworkRobot

Female Number of posts : 1300
Cool Points : 6080
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:02 pm

There is no one vegan doctrine. It's up to the individual. Veganism is not a movement, so there are not really any set rules, apart from the whole "no consumption of animal products" thing. As far as I see it, you can be vegan in diet but have pets or whatever. Stuff like that isn't set in stone.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I can't really relate the issue of abortion to why I'm vegan because I feel differently about the two. I know it's possible to survive without eating animals, so I see it as pointless to confine them in cages and slaughter them. I don't think anyone truly supports abortion, it's mostly about having the choice to do with your body what you want. Just like people have the right to eat meat. I don't consider abortion 'taking a life', or murder, and I think you'd find the process of slaughtering an animal much worse than an abortion (at least in the early stages). PBA is a whole different story to me.
Back to top Go down
hastekilledcreativity
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
hastekilledcreativity

Female Number of posts : 1335
Cool Points : 6020
Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Joaquin_Honest wrote:

The alternatives to embryonic stem cell research was first tested out on animals. That would be contradictory to vegan beliefs would it not?

Abortion is the general questioning of taking a (pseudo-)life. So that's a question on if vegans are against the taking of life for food, would they also be against the taking of life as far as abortions go (with, of course, the exceptions of when one or both lives are in peril upon the birth.)

I am vegan for mostly health reasons. I am also vegan because I am against the treatment of animals who are born to be food for people. For a long time I ate things that were hunted/caught by people I knew. I ate cheese that was made from cows that I knew were being treated fairly. The way I feel about eating that stuff now is basically that it isn't natural. I know that for a lot of people it's completely natural, but I've learned too much about how our bodies work and what our bodies are made to process to keep eating that stuff.

I am against animal testing, but that does not mean I am against any results that are found by testing on animals. I would honestly rather they test on people, at least they can give consent, but they don't. A lot of scientific advancement uses animal testing to save human lives, and I don't agree with that at all... if it was really up to me, we'd stop all of this scientific advancement, I think it does more harm than good (hello longer life expectancy, nursing homes, overpopulated planet).

As for abortions, I consider this a separate issue. When I think about abortions, the first thing that comes to my mind is health and quality of life. I think forcing someone to keep a fetus in them can be detrimental to everyone involved.
Back to top Go down
Joaquin_Honest
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Joaquin_Honest

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Indeed.

I merely ask because I witnessed an argument between two vegans about these issues.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:50 am

lex wrote:
lex wrote:

Do you eat eggs?

No. The reason I don't eat eggs isn't because some of them are embryos, it's because of the way that chickens are treated in the process of getting their eggs. So it's kind of two separate issues.

Some of them are embryos...?

And that makes sense, then.
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 12:48 pm

lex wrote:
lex wrote:

Do you eat eggs?

Yeah, if you see a red spot when you crack the egg then it was going to be a baby chicken.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
billy pilgrim

Female Number of posts : 1845
Cool Points : 6094

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Well the main reason I'm a vegan is because I believe that it's wrong to exploit animals (people too, obviously) and it's wrong to end a life if you don't have to. I also have environmental and health-based motivations. Currently eggs fit under exploitation for me, because chickens are disgustingly mistreated for the most part, but also under health (family history of high blood pressure means I need to keep away from saturated fats). But all that aside....eating eggs strikes me as being icky.

There's more to it than that, but going by this logic, I'm not against abortion because no one is being exploited and I'm not convinced that life begins at conception, although I know pro-life vegans. I'm okay with having pets (unless they're being abused) because I know that that isn't really exploitation, and...honestly I don't know enough about stem cell research to have a real standing on it.

Animal testing is creepily inaccurate and the FDA has a shady history of pulling things from the market and/or putting things on the market anyway (artificial sweeteners are a good example) despite what the animal tests said, using the defense that animal testing isn't entirely accurate, but they still use it. But, of course, it's also exploitation of animals and I think better methods should be developed and used.

I'm not saying all vegans feel like this, just my two cents. If anyone actually read all of that, you win at life.
Back to top Go down
vb
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
vb

Female Number of posts : 1203
Cool Points : 6296
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm totally baffled as to what abortion or stem cell research would have to do with veganism.

Vegans are agaisnt the exploitation and consumption of animals. It's not a human rights issue like the above topics.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:21 pm

lex wrote:
lex wrote:
lex wrote:

Do you eat eggs?

Yeah, if you see a red spot when you crack the egg then it was going to be a baby chicken.

Hm... I've never actually seen a red spot on/in the egg before... But I thought that the whole point of eggs is that they aren't fertilized...
Back to top Go down
lex
dictator bastardette
lex

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah, people make mistakes and some slip by the inspection process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegans And Some Issues   Vegans And Some Issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vegans And Some Issues
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Discussions-
Jump to: