Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Parental Advisory: Explicit Content

Go down 
+5
Knate
raptorsaurus
Ross
Mike
brayhold
9 posters
AuthorMessage
brayhold
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
brayhold

Male Number of posts : 24
Cool Points : 5828
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Empty
PostSubject: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 am

i got my copy of heart burns the other day in the mail, and as i furiously opened to package to get to the cd, i noticed the parental advisory sticker attached to the plastic on the outside of the cd. this seemed odd since an article (link 1) had stated that against me! fought to keep the fbi anti-piracy image off of new wave. while the FBI and the RIAA are not one in the same, its the same idea. none of the against me!'s previous releases have had this on it, though many expletives are used. the article below (link 2) states this is customary for larger releases on certain labels, and this could just have to do with Sire. BUT, heart burns, too, was released on Sire... thoughts?

http://www.paperthinwalls.com/listeningparty?id=23[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_advisory[/url]
Back to top Go down
Mike
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 3153
Cool Points : 7532
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 4:44 am

I don't think many people are going to buy this cd without knowing who Tom Gabel is. The people who buy it aren't going to care about the label. Also, it's only on the plastic which won't ruin the artwork and is easy to ignore. If there was a buyer who was concerned about the parental advisory, I think they'd be turned off enough by the artwork that it wouldn't matter anyway.

That said, I still hate that the parental advisory sticker exists in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
Ross

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 7872
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 am

It wouldn't be pointless if it wasn't discretionary.

But, since it is discretionary, completely up to the label and not enforceable against them if they don't use it... It's pointless and virtually a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
brayhold
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
brayhold

Male Number of posts : 24
Cool Points : 5828
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:35 am

i still think its an interesting choice... it wont ruin the artwork, no, and chances are no one that will buy it will ask their parents to purchase it, but its a change that we havent really heard anything about...
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

Male Number of posts : 3197
Cool Points : 8693
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 am

my first cd I ever bought had a parental advisory thing on it.
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 am

I was 12, and went to wal mart with my mom. It was blink 182s self titled. I remember going home and listening to it on my dad's old discman with shitty headphones.
Back to top Go down
Knate
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Knate

Male Number of posts : 1902
Cool Points : 7518
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm

I always thought it made the albums even cooler. Or maybe I'm just an outlaw.
Back to top Go down
hlflp360
Untouchable
Untouchable
hlflp360

Male Number of posts : 464
Cool Points : 5865
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

raptorsaurus wrote:
I was 12, and went to wal mart with my mom. It was blink 182s self titled. I remember going home and listening to it on my dad's old discman with shitty headphones.

i thought walmart only sold the edited versions?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm not sure about now, I haven't been to walmart to buy cd's for ages, but I remember they used to have tons of cds, now they have barely any.

It had a huge sticker on the plastic with the parental advisory and it's also has the label on the actual cover itself. I was so scarred to ask my mom to buy it.
Back to top Go down
matt_d84
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead

Male Number of posts : 16
Cool Points : 5585
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm

hlflp360 wrote:
raptorsaurus wrote:

i thought walmart only sold the edited versions?

I think that's only in the States, in Canada they have a lot more leeway as to what they can sell.
Back to top Go down
Chops4569
Untouchable
Untouchable
Chops4569

Male Number of posts : 493
Cool Points : 5826
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm

raptorsaurus wrote:

My first CD was a blink 182 album from wallmart too!

I asked my mom to buy me "the one with the nurse with the glove and butterfly tattoo".
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Lizzardking69
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 pm

That is awesome, what are the chances?
Back to top Go down
cathedra
Dear Shithead
Dear Shithead
cathedra

Male Number of posts : 23
Cool Points : 4984
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 am

Knate wrote:
I always thought it made the albums even cooler. Or maybe I'm just an outlaw.

hahaha i also thought that was great for a band, and fuck that shit, bad words are theeee shiiiiiiit!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parental Advisory: Explicit Content   Parental Advisory: Explicit Content Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parental Advisory: Explicit Content
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Discussions-
Jump to: