Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.
Against Me! Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate

Go down 
+2
Zedeff
godisdead
6 posters
AuthorMessage
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

Male Number of posts : 495
Cool Points : 6040
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Empty
PostSubject: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:43 am

Elizabeth May, leader of the green party of canada, has been ruled out of competeing in the televised debate (for our federal gov't, and leader of the country)which will feature representatives from all four other national parties.( Although I don't I think the bloc quebecois is a national party.) While there is no law or set-in-stone protocol that says who can participate in these debates, the Torries are saying she's playing for the liberals, because of her left of centre platform, and because she and Liberal leader Stephane Dion have agreed not to run against each other in certain ridings, so it would be like having two liberals in one debate. The fact that the green party does not have an elected memeber of parliment is another reason why they won't let her on.

She says, however, that because they are a national party, they represent the country and they have just as much right to be in the debates as the
other party.

The conservatives are scared because they will get served by her environmental policies on live tv.

But she is repin' a pretty heavy liberal-esque platform.
Your thoughts? Should she be allowed?
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:56 am

we are on the brink of an election, btw everyone south of the border, just like you gyus are. Pretty interesting times.
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 286
Cool Points : 5849
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 1:50 pm

I don't think you've kept up to date on the news. She is in fact going to be in the debate.
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:04 pm

oo la la...democracy lives! i havent chekced on it since yesterday
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:07 pm

dion is in fredericton(where i live)today, funny enough
Back to top Go down
Zedeff
Untouchable
Untouchable

Number of posts : 286
Cool Points : 5849
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 pm

I think it's a bit harsh to blame this situation on Harper entirely. Harper, Dion, and Layton would all not have participated in the debate if May was invited. Layton was the first to flip-flop, then the other two did it, so now she's welcome.

Frankly, I don't think she should be welcome. She's never had an MP election, she doesn't run 308 candidates, and she supports Dion for PM, which effectively makes her a lobbyist, not a politician (because a politician would support HERSELF for PM).
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Right on, zed, i think they need to have some rules about this thing from now on. I
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

Female Number of posts : 2008
Cool Points : 6007
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:51 am

I think it's great that there are 50 liberal parties, and one conservative party.

I love progressivism, I really do, but they have got to get their shit together. The right wing is doing relatively well all over the world because they aren't open to every dumbass idea that comes along, but the leftists have people like Layton talking about legislating food ads that target children? What the fuck? No wonder someone like Harper gets to be PM and try to push the shit he pushes. Having May up on stage just gives Harper a majority government.
Back to top Go down
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6159
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:01 am

may shouldn't be on the podium. she thinks they deserve it because they have an mp in parlament, but that's just because he walked up to her after he was voted in and decided to go over with them. if he was running for the green party he would have never been voted in in the first place, and if in the next election he's running green still he probably won't get voted back in. any party that doesn't have a chance of forming a majority shouldn't be in the election(ie. bloc, green, etc...)
Back to top Go down
hyperballad
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
hyperballad

Female Number of posts : 3318
Cool Points : 7492
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:21 am

at least you guys have candidates who aren't in the main parties in the debates. I'd love to see Nader and the other third-party candidates debate Obama and McCain. I'd personally like it because there is a possibility that on voting day, the votes would be more accurate of the American people's views.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:07 am

BradGodfrey wrote:
may shouldn't be on the podium. she thinks they deserve it because they have an mp in parlament, but that's just because he walked up to her after he was voted in and decided to go over with them. if he was running for the green party he would have never been voted in in the first place, and if in the next election he's running green still he probably won't get voted back in. any party that doesn't have a chance of forming a majority shouldn't be in the election(ie. bloc, green, etc...)

just because a party doesn't have a chance at winning a majority, doesn't mean they shouldn't be running. If they have an elected mp then they SHOULD be allowed to run, because they represent the interests of at least a few canadians who voted for them.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

Male Number of posts : 6265
Cool Points : 10197
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:35 am

What I don't like is when people don't vote for the party that really represents their beliefs, just because they aren't likely to win. I mean, it's that kind of mentality that makes democratic change so hard.
Back to top Go down
BradGodfrey
Untouchable
Untouchable
BradGodfrey

Male Number of posts : 480
Cool Points : 6159
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 12:01 pm

well i've rarely voted for who i want in, you almost have to just vote against who you want to lose because otherwise you may get stuck with someone you dislike. it's rare to get someone you actually like in power.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Ah, I just think it's a waste to vote for someone just because you think they'll win, as opposed to someone who actually represents what you believe in. I mean, that's kind of the point of Democracy. For people to be represented. If you vote for someone just because they'll win, then you're not represented...
Back to top Go down
godisdead
Untouchable
Untouchable
godisdead

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 pm

That sort of mentality demonstrates the level of awareness and care in general of the population. Almost half of one of my classes of 30 people didn't know who the prime minister of Canada was, let alone the fact there's going to be an election in less than a month to decide who will lead the country. But you know what, that is democracy. It puts important decisions in the hands of sometimes uninformed or even semi-conscious people.
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 6:15 am

godisdead wrote:
That sort of mentality demonstrates the level of awareness and care in general of the population. Almost half of one of my classes of 30 people didn't know who the prime minister of Canada was, let alone the fact there's going to be an election in less than a month to decide who will lead the country. But you know what, that is democracy. It puts important decisions in the hands of sometimes uninformed or even semi-conscious people.

Everyone knows George W. Bush is the president of parliament.
Back to top Go down
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
StoolPigeon

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:43 am

Yeah, it's unfortunate that a lot of Canadians know more about US politics than their own.
Back to top Go down
arollo
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
arollo

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:38 pm

AnnaIsAFuckingStoolPigeon wrote:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that a lot of Canadians know more about US politics than their own.

I think it's more unfortunate that Canadians know more about America than Americans know about America.

Well, more funny, really, but still sad.

If any Canadians are interested, the government publishes a book and gives it out FOR FREE in both English and French called "How Canadians Govern Themselves", which is an excellent introduction to the Canadian parliamentary system. It's probably online, too. Read it. I'm not kidding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate   Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green party not allowed to participate in broadcast Prime Ministerial debate
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Discussions-
Jump to: